Mac OSX 10.4 Update Problem -> then Re-Install Problem

JDG 500

Registered
Hello,

I have a Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook that I bought in July of 2007. I update the software regularly and generally take good care of my computer. Last week, I saw that I had several updates waiting to download and install, clicked the one that seemed most pressing - something related to Intel - and let the computer do the work. When prompted to restart, I agreed, and the computer got stuck warming up (apple logo, segmented circle/working... continuing to spin) indefinitely. I turned it off, tried again, same problem.

I did a little reading and resorted to the OS X cd that came with the computer. I didn't get anywhere with Disc Utility. Eventually I decided I should just reinstall OS X off the disk, having most of my files backed up on an external hard drive. After agreeing to the liscence agreement, it asks you to select a destination volume, but I do not have any volumes listed available to select.

I have also run the Apple Hardware Test. My hardware profile follows:
Product: MacBook
Mac Model: MacBook 2, 1
CPU type: Intel Core 2 Duo
Number of cores: 2
CPU Speed: 2 GHz
L2 CPU Cache (shared): 4mb
Boot Rom version: MB21.882.00A5.B07.0706270922
System Serial #: -----------
SMC version: 1.1780

Memory:
Overview: 1024 MB
(details about RAM)

I ran the hardware test, choosing to perform extended testing (took ~40 minutes), and the result was "No trouble found." I noticed there is no mention of hardware space - should there be? This information doesn't show up anywhere in the disc utility diagnostics/profile - leading me to the thing the harddrive is busted - but the hardware test found no problems.

Can anyone help me figure this out?! Any ideas? Thank you for your suggestions!!!

I suggest Disk Warrior, it's more effective than the System disks, but it's an expensive exercise. Several contributors describe it as a good investment, one which I think I shall be obliged to make rather too soon :( I hope it works for you.

In the end it may be expedient simply to buy and install a new hard drive. If the present one is repairable, you'll have an extra external drive to use some day.

Thanks for responding. I have heard that Disk Warrior is a good program but I don't want to spend more than the price of a replacement hard drive just to determine that I do indeed need a replacement hard drive.... Does anyone have any other ideas? Any tricks with the OS X disk I should attempt? Thanks again!

Back