Mac OSX and Email Tracking

Status
Not open for further replies.

hifigrafix

Registered
On my newsletter program I'm able to see who opens and who doesn't open emails as well as when and how many times they opened an email.

I was wondering if there was any solution on OS X to allow me to do this with regular mail. I've seen some services and software for PC but that doesn't help me much.

I'm currently using Thunderbird for a client but I wouldn't be against switching to get this feature.

** I realize that I could use a return receipt where the addressee would get a popup to authorize the receipt but I'd rather it be somewhat "behind-the-scenes"

I'm not trying to be snoopie or spy or anything - rather I send out a lot of sensitive and timely emails and would like to have some idea of what's going on with emails when they leave my outbox.

Not if your targets have a brain in their skulls. The way your other spam program works is to embed the email with a "web bug", an image that is not sent inline with the message but must be downloaded from a remote server. Then it just counts the downloads.

Because of the slimy way this is used most modern email system will not download remote images without at least prompting the user.

Sorry if this is sounding somewhat testy but I strongly resent the implication that you should be able to spy on me (hypothetically) just because you sent me an email. That is invasive, controlling, disrespectful, and down right evil.

lurk.. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Without going into too much detail - I am in the music promotions business. On any given week I speak to over 150 radio and tv programmers that have "opted-in" to receive free music, merchandise, take part in contests and ad buys etc... While we spend about $40 a week PER OUTLET all that we ask is that they respond to phone-calls and emails - without my company they would be responsible for answering to 15 labels individually if not more which would result in countless hours of productivity each week.

That said - I sometimes get outlets that say "Oh I never saw that email" when in turn I'd like to say - "actually, you opened it on 10/17, do you remember that one" I'm not trying to be an ass but I've got a list of 100 more outlets in line to get on our service and don't think it's fair that I've got people reading emails then just lieing and saying "Oh, I haven't seen that" when in truth they were fully aware that I needed something as outlined in an email.

Nonetheless.. my initial question was - are there any solutions like this for mac?

How does the business that you are in justify this evil scheme? You claim that your recipients opt in. However, How many of those do so with the know that you are monitoring their email?

Albeit an unsavory trade that you ply, you make money doing it. If you want help, buy it. You should not be looking for free labor on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back