Mac Osx Beachball of Death

MikeH

Registered
Mac OSX 10.3.x and 10.4.x G5 Power macs and G5 iMacs connecting to W2K file servers are very frequently interrupted by the spinning beachball, "beachball of death" as it is referred to by operators.

These interruptions occur working within applications (such as Quark XPress), but also occur when simply navigating through finder windows.

The W2K servers are running SFM.

This is a very annoying problem that I have not been able to track down. Any insight would be appreciated.

Regards,

mheaslip@sjcottawa.com

I have two locations where I have just installed new G5's. Both locations have Win2K servers running SFM. One location get SBBOD, the other one does not (or very rarely). The difference between the locations is that one has Gigabit Ethernet to the desktop, and the other one does not (SBBOD location). Both have the Win2K servers going into Gigabit, so it seems to me, that having a Gb pipe from the desktop to the server helps in getting rid of the SBBOD.

But, as always, there could also be other issues that are causing it. That was just my 2 cents worth. . .

Chris

Back