Mac OSX Server, iMac/Windows Clients...

chunter

Registered
Hi,

We currently have a Mac OSX server with windows and mac clients, and we are having great problems with running the multi platform.

The most recent problem, and the one everyone is on my back about at the moment, is that students have lost their work. The problem is that the workstations (both PC and Mac) are seeing their home directories as empty folders, even though from the Mac server I can see all of their files.

I am not sure why this is happening, but any advice would be good. The permissions on the server seem to be good, with administrators having read/write access, and the individual students having read/write access to their own directories. The students can create new files in their directories, and these files can be seen. But the files that I see on the server do not show up.

Any help would be appreciated, as I haven't had a great deal of experience with Macs, let alone Mac OSX Server.

-Craig

I'm thinking its not permissions. Permissions would allow or not allow access to the data itself. For example, a permissions issue would be along the lines of not being able to get into the folder, not getting into the folder but being unable to see the data.

So, each person has their own home folder? The folders are not shared and only accessed by one protocol at a time? Meaning your not dual sharing the same directory and data to SMB and AFP clients, where they could be messing around with each other, though locking will help that a bit.

When they copy up to the server, they don't receive an error message? Try this, check your permissions to be sure they actually have permission to copy to their proper directories. Also, try looking from the client at how the share is being interpreted permissions wise. Also, check to be sure that your sharing the same directories that your looking in. :)

From the workstations both Mac and PC, the folder permissions are set to full. Users can read, write, delete, etc. They just cant see the "old" files. From the server the permissions are set to full, for their own directory and the files within it. And yes, the folders they are trying to access are the correct folders, whether I access them via the shortcut, my douments or manually typing in the location.

There is something strange though, which I think has something to do with the mess. The MAC server shows 500 folders in the "STUDENT" directory, but workstations only shows 109. So most of the students are missing when they are trying to browse from the workstations. They only show up when I go into workgroup manager and clicking the user and going to create home directory. It doesnt actually create the directory as it was already there, but for some reason that allows it to be seen from the workstations. I was afraid this would delete the users files and folders and replace them with new ones, which is what it seems from the workstations, but the mac server shows differently. The permissions on the folders which CAN be seen from workstations, are exactly the same as the ones which CANNOT, from the Mac server.

Would it have something to do with the Windows server on the network being a domain controller? I have kinda been thrown in the deep end here, only just started work here 2 weeks ago and trying to figure this out. The mac server is the PDC (dunno if thats a different term for mac), and the Windows server is just a print server as far as I can see.

Hmmm, I fixed this by going into Workgroup Manager and going to the share. The share only had the 109 folders in, so I removed the share, then readded it again, which showed all 500 folders. Strange I am not sure why this happened, but at least I know how to fix it if it happens again. :)

chunter said:
Hmmm, I fixed this by going into Workgroup Manager and going to the share. The share only had the 109 folders in, so I removed the share, then readded it again, which showed all 500 folders. Strange I am not sure why this happened, but at least I know how to fix it if it happens again. :)

In workgroup you can reapply the permissions etc. Give it a try.

Good luck, Kees

Back