Mac OSX To Mac 7.6.1 Fileshare?

Moptop

Registered
I Am trying to connect one mac to the other to be able to fileshare. I have tried-

-Direct ethernet cable connection
-Ethernet connection through router
-Appletalk cable to ethernet convertor to router to mac
-Appletalk cable to ethernet convertor to mac

But I cannot do it.

How can I do this? Is it possible? I think I've done it before.

Ah, good point.

2 options, a 3400c Powerbook OR a LCIII. (Either is a useable option to me, I can fileshare between to two.

The OsX Computer is an iMac G5.

2 options, a 3400c Powerbook OR a LCIII. ...
So you have never updated the OS on your PowerBook? MacOS 7.6.1 is the maximum version that supports the LC III. This is also the minimum OS that supports the PowerBook 3400c. I recommend that you upgrade your PowerBook to MacOS 9.1. Virtually all of your MacOS 7.6 applications will continue to work. MacOS 9.1's version of AppleTalk offers much greater compatibility with MacOS X. Be warned that you should max-out the RAM on the computer.

I really don't think its powerful enough to handle Os9. I really don't use it much anyways, I just need to fileshare some stuff onto my OsX.

I really don't think its powerful enough to handle Os9.
Of course, it is. In fact, it should run MacOS 9 better than it runs MacOS 7.6.1 because MacOS 9 has more PPC-native code than the OS that shipped with your PowerBook. Because it uses a PPC 603, it must access the 680x0 emulator much more often running MacOS 7.6 than when running MacOS 9.1. The one caveat as indicated in my previous post is that you should upgrade your RAM.
I really don't use it much anyways, I just need to fileshare some stuff onto my OsX.
You said that you had trouble communicating between MacOS 7.6 and MacOS X. If you reread my previous post, then you will see that I told you that MacOS 9's version of AppleTalk was more compatible with MacOS X's version of AppleTalk. I have given you a solution. It is up to you to accept it.

Can we not discuss upgrading it and focus on the file sharing? I don't have an Os9 disk, nor do I want to spend the money on one.

Can we not discuss upgrading it and focus on the file sharing?
I suppose that I have to draw a picture. You are running a 10 year old OS with a networking stack that is much older than that. Apple rewrote AppleTalk for MacOS 9. I have personally logged into MacOS X from MacOS 9 via AppleTalk. However, AppleTalk is included in MacOS X primarily to maintain compatibility with AppleTalk printers. Filesharing in MacOS X is supposed to be done via TCP/IP.

MacOS X's AppleTalk has limited compatibility with AppleTalk in MacOS 9, but it is my understanding that it is not compatible with the version of AppleTalk in MacOS 7.6. Your experience would seem to confirm this. If indeed this is the case, then there is nothing that I can do to force MacOS X to communicate with MacOS 7.6 via AppleTalk.

To answer your question: yes, we can stop discussing upgrading your OS. No, we cannot focus on file sharing between incompatible network stacks.
I don't have an Os9 disk, nor do I want to spend the money on one.
Wishing will not make it so.

Isn't the reason for the "incompatibility" between AppleTalk in System 7.6.1 and Mac OS X is that Mac OS X only does AppleTalk over IP instead of just straight AppleTalk? I was under the impression that running something like SharePoints on the OS X Mac allowed you to not only share any folder on the OS X Mac but to also share to older Macs that only supported the legacy AppleTalk protocol...

Back