Mac OSX Webcam Drivers

Gedankenspiel

Registered
I bought three Logitech USB webcams earlier this year but much to my dismay I never successfuly found a working video conferencing software for Mac OS X.

Am I the only one who would like to use OS X for video conferencing and feels like the vid. conf. market on the mac is totally under served?

I used to use iVisit under OS 9 but it is incompatible under X. Other software doesn't work well with firewalls and is pricey. But MOST OF ALL, I have to buy a third party USB webcam driver which costs me an extra $20. Unbeliavable that Apple hasn't released anything like web conferencing. Doeas anyone know of a decent software for this purpose?

G

like scanners, only the firwire versions are getting any serious support. i also found that my current webcam was obsolete when i switched to os x. if only i had spent the extra $30 on a firewire cam at the time . :(

the IOxpterts drivers are only $20 and they work REALLY well with my QuickcamPro 3k. ABSOLUTELY no complaints.... other than having to pay :).

ISPQ works very well for video conferencing in OS X, and they have versions for 9.x and Windoze.

whether or not a DV camcorder hooked up to a firewire port can double as a webcam for videoconferencing purposes?

If so, which videoconferencing software or drivers would I need?

I have tried my Sony TRV-120 as a webcam using EVOCAM and it worked, but it doesn't look like any of the videoconferencing apps would support it.

Anyone? Please???:confused:

I am currently using the beta drivers from ioexperts. I have no idea why Apple doesn't provide these drivers by default (or why Logitech doesn't make them available) but I can live with a third party solution.

The real question is: when will there be a serious Video Conferencing software for MacOSX? Something that is simple, works well around firewalls (like iVisit does) and one that doesn't cost another $50?

If you have any links for such software, please let me know.

Thanks,
G

Yes and none (depending on the camera you have).

I use my Canon IXY DV (Elura in the U.S.?) with my G4 on Yahoo Messenger (latest version 2.51 for OS X) without any problems.

In Super User mode, I get reasonable connect rates over broadband as well.

Only problem with using a DV camcorder though is the timeout the camera automatically has when not recording.

Cheers.

Originally posted by pcouture
whether or not a DV camcorder hooked up to a firewire port can double as a webcam for videoconferencing purposes?

If so, which videoconferencing software or drivers would I need?

I have tried my Sony TRV-120 as a webcam using EVOCAM and it worked, but it doesn't look like any of the videoconferencing apps would support it.

Anyone? Please???:confused:

ISPQ works very well for video conferencing, has versions for both Macs and PC's and is under $50.00.

Back