MAC Parts - I Need a new SuperDrive

Shop around. There are many drives out there; Macworld recently did a review of 7 or so.

You don't necessarily need a new Superdrive, do you? Do you need a Superdrive, or can you do with any DVD burner?

You might wnat to keep an eye out for officemax sales. They keep selling the Cendyne DVD-R/RW drive for around $150 after rebates. The Cendyne drive is just a relabled Pioneer. The latest one is the 105/A05 model. Mine works perfectly in G4/450. Do watch out, Cendyne does have a new DVD+R/+RW drive, which is not the superdrive, and will not work.

Brian

What are the specs on that drive? I've been hankering for a CD burner for my iMac, and my price limit is $150. If I could get a DVD burner as well for the same price, that would be awesome.

It's 4x DVD-R and 16x CDR. But with an iMac you'd have to buy an external case for it,and you wouldn't be able to use it with iMovie, as iMovie requires an internal drive.

But, if you are looking for a burner for pretty cheap, look for the Verbatim 52x24x52x cd burner. It's actaully a liteon 52x24x52x drive, but alot cheaper. I got the internal drive for around $25 after rebate (once again OfficeMax) and picked up a $60 firewire case for it. Stuck it in my PC, flashed it with LiteOn's firmware, then stuck it in my mac, and my mac see's it as a LiteOn drive with full burning support, works perfectly. Ofcourse you need to have a PC laying around and not be afraid to flash the cd burner :)

Brian

Back