Mac+PC iPod question.

Fraghappy

Registered
I've not seen this question answered anywhere else, so I bring it here. I own a Mac+PC iPod Photo that I purchased this past July.

Is that native support for both operating systems, or does the iPod have to be reformatted to support one instead of the other? My question is because I currently own a Pentium-M laptop and AMD64 desktop, both of which run Windows XP. However, my Pentium-M has only had problems, and I'm considering switching to an Intel Mac-based laptop instead.

Previously, I was able to synch my music library on both computers and my iPod, allowing me to have the entirety of my music collection at my fingertips... always.

So my question is, simply, will I still be able to do this? Or must I reformat the iPod if I want to synch it with iTunes on a Mac?

You should be able to do it. I know when I switched from XP Pro to OS X 10.4 I was able to sync up my PC-formatted iPod flawlessly. OS X even saw it as a drive in Finder.
Of course, since I was using a newer version iTunes it required a newer version of the iPod update...and since I'm on a Mac now I had to reformat it to get it to update but it was no big deal.

OS X can read Windows drives but not the other way around, so if you format it for Windows you should be fine.

Thank you very much. :D

I'll just install any iPod Updates via Windows XP, to preserve the inter-OS compatibility.

Back