Mac PDA !

PDA? Why bother, I use a 12"PB......why have a half baked computer (PDA) when you could have a real computer that is very small and mobile?

most of the pda have a longer duration than 4-5 hours. And you can't use your 12'' powerbook in a crowd train, tram or bus while you have to stand.. It makes very much sense to me

Oh well. I saw a few weeks back someone in the Blue train carrying around his 12" Powerbook and big headphones .. just to use it with iTunes. I think some people should just get an iPod.. ;)

... as itunes would not run with lid closed > he walked with it open. All the way from the suburbia to downtown (where he got out of the train)

Harder to pickpocket than an iPod. :D But seriously, look at Sony. They're pulling out of the American handheld market. Why? Because smartphones are taking up the slack. Best we'll get is more and more pda-like functions on the iPod (such as built-in voice recording) to help the functionality of the desktop/laptop.

it would be great if the PDA, iPod etc could be able to run iChat AV wirelessly. So plug in your iPod or PDA, and call and talk free to you friends :)

..unless you are within a hot-spot. And the way it looks like (at least in germany) they will charge the ppl pretty high for such a service. Guess the technology is more than ready for this. If there were no probs about the connection-bills, we surely would have seen such PDAs or iPods

btw, I heard there are wireless lan SD-memory-plugs (probably called different, but I hope you guys got me). If I got it right, you have a SD-memory-like chip that is compatible to all SD-mem devices and they will get 802.11x compatible network access. There are a couple of cell-phones that support such cards. Now imagine your cell accesses wireless lan.. VoiceOverIP.. YUMMIE! ;)

Zammy-Sam said:
btw, I heard there are wireless lan SD-memory-plugs (probably called different, but I hope you guys got me).
Most WLAN SDIO Cards are designed for a particular device, just like most Bluetooth SDIO Cards. I can't use the Palm SDIO Bluetooth card with my PoS Zire71.
If Course, you device also needs to support SDIO Cards, and not just SD or MMC cards; you won't be able to use any SDIO Cards with Early Palms or most Nokia Phones.
If Apple was going to have AirPort or Bluetooth in a MacPDA, they wouldn't do it using SDIO: They have integrated Chips or Proprietary Addon Cards, like AirPort Extreme Cards.

I was actually more interested to cells supporting 802.11x networks. You can't use a PDA to call ppl.. But true, when it would come to a MacPDA, they would surely have integrated chips instead of cards.

Yep, was thinking about that, too. Apple isn't a very big fan of 'slots'. Never has been, never will be. A MacPDA would probably have one connector apart from headphones and video-out ( ;-) ) ports - the one for the Dock.

Wow, that thing look like utter shit. Let's face it anyway: PDAs are dead. Sony's pulled the Clié. Palm sales are down. Mobile phones are absorbing all the organising functions you could ever need. No, I think the most likely new Apple device to surface is some sort of remote control for their new wireless initiative, be it tablet-PC-like, or colour-iPod-like. A traditional PDA will never happen, and would frankly be a dissapointment for me.

The iPod is already a simple PDA. All i ever used my palm for was to look up phone numbers and meeting times. Sure I used it for notes occasionally, but that was before I got my iPod and a cell phone with text messaging. Now if i need to take a short note I text it to my email. For lots of notes I use my iBook or iPod to record audio and transcribe later. The phone, the iBook, and the iPod are also integrated through iSync. The iPod does all this quite nicely and the palm has sat in its cradle ever since.

if they had something, but decided to not release it... what's the harm of letting go some of the photos of it? I'd like to see something I would have "almost" bought...

A company would never release photos of something unreleased. Not for a very long time. What if they change their mind? (which Apple won't, but still) Why show something the company deemed not worthy of releasing?
If people want pda functions, the iPod is worthy of it. If not, you can always get a Palm. Heck, I have a Tungsten T with Mac icons, even a Mac finder for the home folder (using Launcher X) and the mp3 player has a skin available that resembles the iTunes interface.
Heck, even smartphones can have Mac looks and all three iSync just fine.
I know people would say, but it's not an Apple. But then again, don't expect an Apple pda or phone anytime soon. Heck, I think Jobs would prefer to ditch OSX and go back to OS9 than release a pda.

BTW, burnout, for more than a decade ago, that was cutting-edge technology (and way ahead of its time). Don't look it at through 2004 eyes. If you do, take a look at a G5 with Cinema Screen and a PowerBook 17 and then check out the Mac offerings from that year. It'll be quite educational.

Sony does it all the time. So does HP. Mock-ups of upcoming, as well as cancelled products happen all the time - check CeBit, CES, even the E3, and the aftermath.

Apple is just a bit... well, weirder.

: shrug :

burntoutjoy said:
Wow, that thing look like utter shit. Let's face it anyway: PDAs are dead. Sony's pulled the Clié. Palm sales are down. Mobile phones are absorbing all the organising functions you could ever need. No, I think the most likely new Apple device to surface is some sort of remote control for their new wireless initiative, be it tablet-PC-like, or colour-iPod-like. A traditional PDA will never happen, and would frankly be a dissapointment for me.

While true, id have to say O2's XDA 2 is a killer SmartPhone/PDA ive had it for a couple of months and now and i cant do a thing without it. the sucky thing is its wma only. i see this as a full on threat to the iPod in future when the devices matures towards online music etc. This thing has everything you could ever need.

The main thing is its small it "dosen't have a 12" screen" or a "huge keyboard", otherwise optional, you can phone people or mms/sms, take pictures/video [man, i've had some funny times recording crazy people too - now thats funny] Contacts, wireless internet via GPRS or base stations/hotspots, you can also pre email friends/clients collegues and download preloaded web pages of your favourite websites, suitable for reading while listening to music on a train, etc.

XDA 2 has its down sides but when they achieve the equal capacities of iPods etc, im gonna be lost in pocket/mp3 world. Unfortunatley i use this thing more than my iPod now. Only if there was iTunes for Windows mobile/embedded, etc. That would rock! Apple needs to jump in here because if most people are gonna buy SmartPhones/PDA's there is definatley gonna be music playback and that means WMA! not good for Apple/iTunes!

I love my iPod, but really the XDA 2 is damn good if you can afford one, nearly double the top iPod model prices.

Back