Mac Pro discussion thread

nixgeek said:
hawki18, I think you're confusing PCI-X with PCIe. The two are completely different. PCI-X is a 64-bit slot, while PCIe is a PCI with a much faster transfer rate (to put it in simple terms, of course....it's too early in the morning to get into details :p).

pci x 16 is the how they mother board manufactures list the video slot standard, most people just say pci x so if anyone miss understood the video format I was talking about sorry any confusion I may have caused.

Does anyone have any ideas when they will release the next version of the MacBook Pro with speed upgrade and some fixes?

I am thinking about investing in one, I don't need it right away and want to make sure I don't order one to find out a month or so later a newer model is released.

Looking at past models, how long has it taken for the second batch to be released?

well, considering Apple's more or less HUGE delay in the release of their new tower Mac, they must be up to something. as everyone must know, the tower is the last piece of computing hardware exept for the iPod that doesnt have a form of Intel.

the Mac Book/MacBook Pro (if i remeber correctly) took a while to release and they had their new designs. the mini was out soon caz it didnt change at all.

here is all i know. it will be faster, it will have IR port, and it will be junk for at least 1 year till all of the bugs are worked out of it.

also what about the processor speed? if im not mistaken the tower's current processor is faster than even the intel iMac.

as for design, it will be white or gray. a rare chance going black (as the MacBook did) but the white stays consistant with the rest of the family. a U2 special addition would be awsomely cool and so would an Aqua case.

cyprus mac man said:
well, considering Apple's more or less HUGE delay in the release of their new tower Mac, they must be up to something.
Apple isn't really delayed at all, because Intel still doesn't have a suitable replacement for the G5. Sure, it works for the iMac, but that's because the iMac wasn't a real heavy-duty pro machine. The current Core Duo doesn't support multi-processing, so if Apple were to use it in a pro tower, it would really be a step down. They couldn't have a "quad" (2 dual-core processors) Intel machine like they have with the G5.

Apple is likely to update their pro line in July or August, when Intel releases their pro-worthy new Core 2 Duo chips, which will not only support multi-processing, but will also be 64-bit (like the G5), and significantly faster than the current Core Duos.

As for the Xserve, who knows when that will be updates. They've dragged their feet with that one since the day it was released!

Back