Mac Pro/FCP performance issues

dblodget

Registered
Hi, New convert to mac and looking fwd to getting my platform up and running. I've been in the dv biz for for many years, but always in the PC world.

We purchased a Mac Pro & FCP about a month ago and am struggling with FCP - application response is very slow (constant 'spinning beach ball' in response to any mouse click) and capturing video through the firewire intf results always results in dropped frames. Ironically, capturing video using iMovie works well (although I'm told it won't report dropped frames).

We assumed it was cockpit error and have been pouring through the manuals for weeks but cannot solve the prblm. We've worked with Apple support and they can find nothing obvious, and now want me to wipe all the drives and reload the OS and application software.

My platform is a Mac Pro 2x2.66 CPU's w/4GB RAM (4x1GB's), 4x500GB internal drives, 2x23" cinema displays. Nothing else is connected to the system and no other software has been installed sans what Apple shipped it with. OS is 10.4.8 and FCP is 5.1.2 (latest releases I believe).

I don't know what to expect from the Mac and curious if wiping the drives is the best next step.

thanks
-d

Very strange. I have the same Mac pro with the same amount of RAM.

I assume that your RAM is certified Apple compatible?

I have had a couple of Firewire issues. For example, sometimes the OS won't recognise my eyeTV 200 device when I plug it into the rear port of the computer, whereas it always seems fine on the front port. I have read somewhere that others have reported similar problems, and was waiting for Apple to address this in a future update.

Have you done things like repair permissions?

Thanks Patrick, It seemes like a RAM issue to me as well, but it passes it's tests the Apple techs tried (and yes, it's the original memory installed by Apple) and only struggles with FCP, (but I don't think any other program stresses the memory like FCP).

Interestingly, I've had the exact opposite experience with my firewire ports - the front port won't even recognize an attached camcorder while the rear connector will, but struggles with dropped frames when capturing video.

-d

Well I spent the evening at the Apple Store and they tell me there are known Firewire issues in the Mac Pro that cause the performance problems in FCP. They have no workaround and no resolution timeframe for the problem.

The tech mentioned that some people have been able to get around the problem using 3rd party firewire cards, but it hasn't solved all the issues.

I'm guessing swapping my motherboard may help, but they would rather wait for a less costly software fix...

I'd sure like to know if anyone is using a Mac Pro w/FCP in a video editing application where your capturing video clips from camcorders over the Firewire intf...

-d

Back