Mac Pro Loud SuperDrive [Video inside]

Urbansory

The Definition of...
Well I finally went ahead and got a new system after months of... "Apple might release another one". I said ok, and paid cash for one.

So I place a CD or DVD in, this thing gets LOUD. Sounds like a jet. Well you be the judge....

macprovideo.jpg

http://www.urbansory.com/video/?id=LoudMacPro

The system profiler says this is a Sony SuperDrive

That's not normal. Bring it in to an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or call AppleCare for a replacement. Be careful about what you put in there..

My iMac makes a racket when it gets up to speed, but the pitch is lower. It sounds like something mechanical is catching with the Mac Pro.. if there's an Apple Store nearby, try putting a CD in one of their machines.

I went to Microcenter, the Mac pro there did the same thing. i got mine from a Apple store here for that very reason, take it right the F$%& back! i dropped cash for it too, so I'm PISSED! Haven't even had it a day!

Update:
I have a 3:20 appointment at the Apple Store today, we shall see about this.

It's possible that it's normal.. but other DVD burner drives I've used are almost silent. If they won't fix it, you might want to get a 3rd party one..

Well i suggest they swap it with a Pioneer, not this Sony crap. The pioneer superdrive in my g4 is silent as hell. The one at work is silent too.

I won't even use the thing, but it's more about what i paid for. i paid for something better than that.

What is the repair process? i have freelance work to get back to, so i need my machine back today..

If they have parts on hand, they can probably do it then and there. Otherwise, wait can be up to 3 days, usually next day though. That's at the Apple Store. You might want to call the store to see what they can do.

So I go, and... nothing they can do. Looked at a display model, it did the same thing. Makes no sense. How can you claim this is a super low noise producing machine, acoustic my ass.

Back