Mac Pro Quad With 10.11 - Can I Go Back To 10.8?

rickself

Registered
Hello - I am in the process of purchasing a refurbished Mac Pro Quad (2012) that is pre-installed with OS 10.11. All of my software on my current Mac Pro Quad is running on 10.8. Question is - are there any hardware components that will dislike me reformatting the 10.11 back to 10.8? My software consists of CS6 and prepress software purchased through a business closing auction. Updates are difficult to come by - not impossible, just difficult. It would seem I could install or reformat a drive with 10.8 and it should take right off.
Thoughts?

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
As long as you have a copy of the full 10.8 installer, you should be able to do it. You may get a warning, but that machine originally came with 10.7 and later 10.8.

rickself

Registered
Another thought -
The refurbished MacPro is coming with 10.11 installed.
Everything I have read says that Adobe CS6 does not play well with 10.11, therefore I have no use for a startup disk with 10.11.
If I use my hard drive with 10.8 as the start up drive, could I not reformat the 10.11 drive using the disk utilities from the 10.8 drive? Then use migration asst to make a copy of the 10.8 Startup drive onto the newly reformatted drive??

SGilbert

Registered
FWIW, CS3 still works with OS 10.12 (see a thread from a week or so ago); you shouldn't have any trouble with CS6.

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
Migration assistant will only transfer your personal files and documents along with third party apps. It will not copy the OS system.

rickself

Registered
Finally -
I've had my home computer at work for a month now and I have the system and applications set up really good for both worlds. If I were to create a DMG of my system disk and applications, will that create a clone of the original on a newly formatted HD? Next weekend I will be setting up my new used MacPro tower and want to keep it as straightforward and simple as possible. Granted a DMG of the system and applications will take some time but that could run overnight.

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
You want to create a dmg bootable copy but where are you going to save it on? Wouldn’t it be easier to use an external drive and use Copy Cloner or Super Duper to make a bootable clone?

rickself

Registered
You want to create a dmg bootable copy but where are you going to save it on? Wouldn’t it be easier to use an external drive and use Copy Cloner or Super Duper to make a bootable clone?
Hey Cheryl - yes, I found Carbon Copy Cloner right after I posted the question. Works really fast and very straightforward.

Cheryl

Rosie Moderator
Staff member
Mod
I followed a thread on Adobe about CS6. There was nothing but problems with OS above Mavericks.

Remember that everyone has a different set up. I had read that it does work, but doesn't if you re-install it.