.Mac Problems

Fraghappy

Registered
I just got my first Mac today, bundled with a one-year subscription to .Mac. I can recieve email through Mail.app just fine, but when I send, I get the following error:

This message could not be delivered and will remain in your Outbox until it can be delivered.

The connection to the server "smtp.mac.com" on port 25 timed out.

Should I try some port forwarding? I wouldn't be surprised if my router was blocking something. Sending does work when I try going from the mac.com website.

I just got my first Mac today, bundled with a one-year subscription to .Mac. I can recieve email through Mail.app just fine, but when I send, I get the following error:

Should I try some port forwarding? I wouldn't be surprised if my router was blocking something. Sending does work when I try going from the mac.com website.

I don't use .mac, but do they require SMTP authentication?

I think so. This is kind of a learning experience for me. I was a hardened, very computer-literate Windows user, but there's a lot about how Macs work that I don't understand yet.

I have that issue when I check my .Mac from home. You most likely need to use your ISP's smtp server to send your email.

Most ISPs block port 25 outbound to block you from running your own SMTP email server for spamming. Changing your SMTP server to your ISP's will work.

Back