.Mac rip off - Feedback

Daeyin

Registered
Send them feedback so they know how dumb the idea is, and post it!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/feedback/

mine was

"Taking away my @mac.com address or making me pay for them is just wrong! SJ promised in San Francisco that it would be "fee for life." I was there, taking notes!

Yesterday I was planning when I would buy Jagaur, now I am planning what products I should put in my new Dell.

Why can't you just have a free basic service and paid Pro service? As a user and shareholder I have never been more dissapointed in a company before.

Bad form, Apple Computer, bad form!"

chill out dude it is only $50 too upgrade. Don't be such a cheap scate.

I'm a student and even i can aford $50 and $100 every year after

has anything definite even been said about itools / .mac yet?

all i have seen are rumors & dead links

Q: Is it true that Apple will begin charging customers for iTools memberships?

On Wednesday, July 17, 2002, Apple notified its customers that iTools will be replaced by a new membership service called .Mac. The membership includes brand new features, like Backup and Virex anti-virus software, and improved versions of the iTools services, like additional email and iDisk storage. The fee is US$99.95 per year, and as a thank you for being loyal customers, existing iTools members can reserve a first year special offer of $49.95. iTools members will have until September 30 to join .Mac. After this time, original iTools accounts will be deactivated.

Now I have to decide which of my two mac.com addresses I should keep

trekg or daeyin.

I like trekg since it is my name, but I have daeyin as a username like everywhere

i dont think the price is too steep... especially if the back-up software and virsu protection are good.

I'm all for the free market and charging for things, after all Apple is a profit centered business. It just gets my goat that they are going to charge me $50 so that I can continue to use my mac.com e-mail address. Make the limit 5 MB storage and give it to me for free. Contrary to what Steve said at Macworld, Yahoo and even Microsoft owned Hotmail offer this. If this policy doesn't change, look for me at sjb2016@yahoo.com. That would stink.

I think some people are overreacting before we get the whole story. We need some more info about .mac .. like some kind of a FAQ.

Looks like it's back to the other "free" email accounts I have. But is anyone sure that Apple is dropping the email service?

I thought .mac was more of an "upgrade" subscription. Or is it subscribe or be gone?

That is correct. Apple will be dropping iTools as we know it and introducing .Mac.

No free services whatsoever.

If Apple was smart, they'd include a .Mac membership with every new Mac.

I think I'm probably gonna pay $100/year though. The 100 MB iDisk space will be very nice. I understand, though, why some are outraged.

I'd criticise the fact that most all of the macs shipped in the last couple of years pitched iTools as a "feature" - The box my iBook came in included such a pitch on the side - and now they've decided to charge for it.

I am happy to see that we are getting more services, but I believe we were promised iTools. Hopefully they will relent and let people keep existing @mac.com email addresses.

Oh well ...

this is totally fkd up, im not gana pay 99 or not even 50 for just a dam .mac email adress, and thats all i wold really need, i dont need any of that other crap that they provide. and to those that say "dont be a cheapskate" u try wasting that much money n suporting a fam of 3 with only one job. everything else is cool but, this paying for a dam email acount is the most retared thing i have seen apple do , ever :mad: :mad:

Originally posted by simX
That is correct. Apple will be dropping iTools as we know it and introducing .Mac.

No free services whatsoever.

If Apple was smart, they'd include a .Mac membership with every new Mac.

I think I'm probably gonna pay $100/year though. The 100 MB iDisk space will be very nice. I understand, though, why some are outraged.

100MB iDisk for $100 anually? Why not just buy an 40GB external FireWire HD and be money ahead in the long run?

Apple has pulled a total MS or AOL act but atleast MS and AOL continued to offer their email services for free, just reduced the storage.

The one time I tried to use iTools the performance was so crappy, I never was able to get into it. I'm glad now, I would be really pissed if I was dependent on it like it sounds some users are.

For webmail, Earthlink is great. I would recommend it over MSN Hotmail or Yahoo. A lot less spam for one.

Back