.Mac Sync Problem

LarryMcJ

Registered
I have an iMac and new MacBook both registered with .Mac. In doing a sync on the MacBook it won't sync the keychains I've put on .Mac from the iMac. It keeps asking me for the password to my iMac, which I give it, but insists it's the wrong password. Details drop-down say "kcSync".

I've already tried resetting the password for that keychain on the MacBook...it takes that, so I am obviously using the correct password. But when try to do a sync or even a "Reset Sync Data" it keeps asking for this password.

Any ideas? Thanks!

LarryMcJ

I found this in my search...tried it, and it worked. This resets the Keychain password. Open up the Terminal window and type:

/System/Library/Frameworks/SecurityFoundation.framework/Versions/A/Resources/kcSync.app/Contents/MacOS/kcSync -reset

LarryMcJ

Actually, If i may comment on this, I've got a question regarding the sync'ing process with .Mac.

I have a Macbook Pro, and I've ordered an iMac just yesterday so its on its way. I will use my laptop while at work on the road, and then come home and sync up with my iMac., my question is..

do I absolutely NEED to pay for 2 .Mac subscriptions, or can I get away with one? two scenarios, what would happen if I use 1 .mac account for both macbook and imac, would I still be able to sync my data?

scenario 2: by syncing up two machines, can I select what I want it to sync or does it automatically sync everything? and if I use one .mac account for both machines, would that create a problem and override previously synced data with the first machine if I were to do it twice, once on the macbook and once on the iMac.?

problem is, I am changing all systems in my house to apple, and would just like to save a few bucks, if I can.

I will have:

Macbook
iMac
Macbook Pro
Mac Pro

Thanks!

You can use .mac to share information between the two machines... and this will be further improved in Leopard. But if you really want to keep both accounts separate, you'll need two accounts !

You can use .mac to share information between the two machines... and this will be further improved in Leopard. But if you really want to keep both accounts separate, you'll need two accounts !

You can use it for any amount of computers (memory limititations not taken into account).

You can specify what you want to synchronise, but all information will be available to everyone. As far as i know you can not create multiple sets of separate information.

You start saving the bucks by trying with 1 account and if not satisfied, sign up for a second account. Also you have a trial when buying another system, so the try-out might be completely free.

Good luck, Kees

Back