mac talk to vista please....

ashbradshaw

Graphic Designer
simple to most i know but today i'm not most...

i want a connection from my mac to a friends vista pc but ive tryed all the things i know and i cant get it too work, what ive done is this...

plugged in an ethernet cable end to end, gone into system preferences>sharing>services and click on the boxes, personal file sharing, windows sharing, personal web sharing and FTP access taken off my firewall witch ive been told to do in the past,
so with the vista pc ive clicked on the same options file sharing, no password etc. So then gone back to my finder>network>user name, the icon befor the pc's name is faint and should be full colour any way i press connect and it takes about 20/30 secs then a box pops up asking me to fix alies so i click then not much happens after that. All i want to do is transfer my itunes music folder over to the vista pc....

tryed it the other way round pc to mac and a box on vista pops up asking for username and pass work, i know my user name but i dont have a password, i think the problem is setting up ip address but im in the dark when it comes to ip stuff. .. ... ....

(mac)
ibook G4, osx 10.4.9......with no password only username
(vista)
a week old from the store as far as i know, its up to date

"plugged in an ethernet cable end to end"

Are you using an ethernet crossover cable? If you connect direct computer to computer (rather than via a router) you need a crossover rather than a regular ethernet cable.

Did you click 'Windows Sharing' and 'Personal File Sharing' in the Sharing Preference window on your Mac?

as you can see, i told you ive ticked those boxes....
and yes ive been using a Xover cable..

i think the problem is the username/password part,

When accessing the Vista computer from the Mac, are you using the username and password of the user that's resident on the Vista computer? Give that a try.

I know that there are some issues with Vista's sharing to other computers. When I was using the RC2 of Vista on a PC at home, my iMac G5 and my other Linux computers were having problems accessing shares on the Vista computer. EVen my wife's XP laptop couldn't access the shares!

I'd suspect its more likely that Vista deliberately breaks sharing to Samba/Mac computers - it sounds like the sort of thing Microsoft love to do on a regular basis.

Back