.mac TLD - a crazy idea?

ropers

Registered
This may sound crazy, but I think we shound start a grass roots movement and together build a community of Mac users who believe in the following:

- The digital divide should be narrowed, not broadened.
- Volunteer work beats the commercial model.
- There are tangible benefits for everyone to building and maintaining a Mac community driven network.

Given that - and given that enough people agree with this and are willing to contribute to it - I propose the following:

- Let's gather enough momentum to be able to request a .mac top level domain (TLD).
- Let's make sure (possibly by something similar to the Gnu Public License) that that entire TLD stays as noncommercial as possible (i.e. it must not generate overall profit, so fees have to be as low as possible).
- Lets keep the most basic services free for all Mac owners. I believe that it would be a huge benefit for the everyone if the .mac TLD community could ensure that all members could at least retain lifetime email addresses whatever the changes in services otherwise.

What do people think?

If you have some other way to promote this idea, please take it further. Feel free to email me as well - for the time being I'm still at ropers@mac.com.

Back