Mac to Mac Network Dead

annathaema

Registered
Okay, the scenario is this: brand-new shiny 24" iMac, months old black MacBook, sharing a wireless network via Airport Express. Yesterday file-sharing worked fine. I was transferring files from the MacBook to the iMac, when accidentally (re: cat with a death wish) the iMac was suddenly unplugged. Naturally, everything stopped and the file transfer failed.

Started up the iMac again and it works just fine - except that now, file sharing no longer functions. The computers can't see each other at all. I have tried the following:

- Repairing permissions and restarting both computers.
- Creating dummy accounts on each computer; file sharing doesn't work on them either.
- Am up to date on all software, running 10.4.8

The iMac's address comes up as a 169. Both computers access the internet just fine. Nothing else is malfunctioning at all.

Any ideas? Am about to run TechTool though I doubt it's going to help.

Thanks!

- Annathaema

Are you accessing the macs directly via Finder's Connect to Server feature? (Go -> Connect to Server). Enter in the other Mac's 192.168.x.x address in that and see what happens. Also, try enabling Windows File Sharing, to see if the Macs will connect in that format (smb://192.168.x.x). Verify that File Sharing is on, and if you have a Firewall, temporarily turn it off.

I tried both Connect To Server and the Network icon in the Finder, and neither one will connect me to either computer. Both computers do not have a 192 address; it comes up as a 169. File Sharing is definitely on, and I do not have a Firewall.

I'll try the Windows File Sharing - I resorted to hooking them up via FireWire with the iMac in target mode so that I can get things copied off the laptop.

Thanks!

Are you accessing the macs directly via Finder's Connect to Server feature? (Go -> Connect to Server). Enter in the other Mac's 192.168.x.x address in that and see what happens. Also, try enabling Windows File Sharing, to see if the Macs will connect in that format (smb://192.168.x.x). Verify that File Sharing is on, and if you have a Firewall, temporarily turn it off.

..the iMac's address comes up as a 169. Both computers access the internet just fine..

do you have multiple nic's active on the imac?
the ip you mention (169.x...) is a self-assigned ip, which means that the network-interface is not properly configured, or didn't get an ip from the dhcp-server on your LAN. but the fact that you still can connect to the internet with that machine suggests that another NIC is up and running fine. (or you may be looking at the ip of the wrong NIC)

if you only use airport, disable the other nics (ethernet, modem etc..) on both computers.
you can do that in "SystemPrefs > Network > Network Port Configurations"
that way you know for sure that both machines only connect through airport.
i recommend to create a new 'Location' for that, so that you can easily switch to 'Automatic' again on you macbook whenever you're on the move and try to connect somewhere else..

Back