Mac to use Intel Chips!

Bah!

We want what Fryke describes as the "gory details"... and try the install disc on a standard PC!!

Pics, lots of pics too.

WHAT? Wha.. WHAT? Thats... grrr. aaargh!!

That's sensible. What if it goes belly up though?

I expect that there will be reinstall media.

I also expect that it will only work with the exact Intel chipset and integrated video on board. They probably don't even have a generic "VGA" driver like Windows does. That'll keep it from working on too much beige-box PC hardware.

I also expect I'm completely wrong and I'll find out tomorrow or the next day. :D

Oh, I expect there to be NDAs. And I expect there to be a lot of info on rumour sites soon enough, too.

Yeah, I got mine today. Its interesting to poke around. Its def a custom made board (all the ports line up, mobo is just the right size, completely unlabled (except baracuda)). One thing Ive been trying to figure out is what the little micro switch mounted just next to the power button (you can prres it with a paper clip) does.

Ive also mapped out what all the F keys do (bios, netboot, boot select)

Apparently you can....check out the thread about ThinkSecret's article on the Intel Mac dev kit.

Yes, you can install windows. Schiller said Apple would do nothing to prevent MacTel owners from installing windows at the wwdc.

intelDev said:
One thing Ive been trying to figure out is what the little micro switch mounted just next to the power button (you can prres it with a paper clip) does.
LOL! Traditonally, all "IBM Compatible PC"'s have a reset button. Basically a way to reboot if the OS becomes unresponsive and rather than power down and start from a cold boot, you have a warm (I guess?) boot. Some PC makers have made the reset button more obscure to avoid accidentally hitting it and causing a reboot. It's a hardware switch so there's not "are you sure you want to reboot?"

Looking at my Dell right now (I'm at work) there's no reset button either.

There COULD be differences then? Perhaps they just cobbled them together (not in the pejorative sense) to get them out, I mean, they're only dev kits for 18 months use after which they'll be destroyed or stripped.

Lycander said:
LOL! Traditonally, all "IBM Compatible PC"'s have a reset button. Basically a way to reboot if the OS becomes unresponsive and rather than power down and start from a cold boot, you have a warm (I guess?) boot. Some PC makers have made the reset button more obscure to avoid accidentally hitting it and causing a reboot. It's a hardware switch so there's not "are you sure you want to reboot?"

Looking at my Dell right now (I'm at work) there's no reset button either.

Nope, its not that, there is no noticeable effect when I press it. It is wired in, and it goes into the front panel control board.

chadwick said:
In the other thread at http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226831&page=3 he talks about a microswitch on the front panel... I have no switch. The only thing next to the power button is the power/sleep LED, which does have the same size as one of those paperclip reset buttons, but it's not a button! :D

The button is a full size micro-switch. It is mounted to the left (or right if you are looking from the inside) of the power-button (towards the back of the case). Ill try to get a pic of it.

Back