Mac upgrade question...

lasmith05

Registered
Hi,

I recently got a 400mhz G4 and for the most part i've been happy with it. However, the graphics are appallingly slow for games and even itunes sound viz... I was trying to play warcraft 3 and the graphics were horrible... i'm sure this has something to do with the crappy ATI Rage Pro 128 that comes standard... Would a video card upgrade help? Is there a processor upgrade for AGP G4s? Or should I just scrap this mac now and go for an 800mhz imac or g4?

Thanks!

yes, a bit. but jaguar will bring more improvements. sadly, you cannot upgrade your graphics card or processor. up the RAM to the max if you can and get jaguar when it's out.

Originally posted by fryke
yes, a bit. but jaguar will bring more improvements. sadly, you cannot upgrade your graphics card or processor. up the RAM to the max if you can and get jaguar when it's out.

Why can't I upgrade the video card? I'm sorry i'm used to PCs where I could always get the latest video card...

Originally posted by mightyjlr
You can upgrade the graphics card if it is a powermac, but not if it is a imac, ibook, or powerbook.

Yeah it's a 400mhz G4 Tower. I just read that sonnet technologies is releasing a 800mhz and 1ghz upgrade for my mac... 499 and 699 respectively... so I may end up doing that... Can anyone recommend a good video card that supports war3?

Thanks!

Originally posted by lasmith05

I just read that sonnet technologies is releasing a 800mhz and 1ghz upgrade for my mac... 499 and 699 respectively

They also do a dual 500mhz which would be the better option, a 800mhz G4 or a dual 500mhz..

Originally posted by lasmith05
Can anyone recommend a good video card that supports war3?
If you need it now, get the Radeon 8500. If you can wait, get the newest Radeon cards that were just announced at Macworld....

Originally posted by thedbp

If you need it now, get the Radeon 8500. If you can wait, get the newest Radeon cards that were just announced at Macworld....

D'oh, I wish I had read that... I picked up the ATI Radeon 7000... didn't really help at all. I don't know about spending 300 on a video card... so I went and got a 700mhz imac w geforce2 mx... war3 runs good now... :D

radeon 7000 is a great card for a PCI machine or a second video card for an AGP machine. but if you want to replace the main graphics board in an AGP tower, you really need to get an AGP card to take advantage of all the oogey benefits that AGP has over PCI.

Originally posted by thedbp
radeon 7000 is a great card for a PCI machine or a second video card for an AGP machine. but if you want to replace the main graphics board in an AGP tower, you really need to get an AGP card to take advantage of all the oogey benefits that AGP has over PCI.

I've had better luck with PCs... replaced a rage 128 pro on a pc with a PCI tnt2 card and performance was instantly better. Too bad it doesn't work in this case as well.

My imac rocks btw...

Back