Mac users-- help help out windows user who can't help himself!

lezouave

Registered
I created a website for myself which works well in all common browsers, Mac and PC, except, apparently for for safari 1.2.3 (v125.9) 2004, according to a friend who looked at the sight.

My beige G3 won't run OS-X.

What would be great is if someone could have a look at my site with that version or earlier of Safari. Or any version of Safari.

Any takers?

http://www.stevegibons.com

thanks,

steve

Frist off your web site work just fine on my PowerBook G3 running 10.4.5.
2nd yes you can run OS X on your older mac. I know I had one run OS 10.2.8 and 10.4.3 before I got my G4 Power Mac 450 Mhz x 2. You will need to get Xpostfacto to run any thing higher then 10.2.8 on your Mac. But if you want to do some reading and get 10.4.5 to run on your G3 then here it the link to Xpostfacto. http://eshop.macsales.com/OSXCenter/XPostFacto/ I hope you the best if need to talk to someone about getting 10.4.5 up and running just email me at camgangrel@gmail.com and I will help you out.

camgangrel21 said:
Thanks. I wonder if it's possible that Safari 1.2.3 could have probs? Hm. doesn't seem likely.
camgangrel21 said:
2nd yes you can run OS X on your older mac.

I'm afraid my G3 was one of those that could not get OS-X running no matter what. There was even a class action lawsuit on that and I got (set your pahser on irony) A copy of OS-X Jaguar.

Thanks again for checking it out.

steve

camgangrel21 said:

That depends on the exact revision of the PowerBook G3. As far as I know, I think only Pismo can run Tiger without XPostFacto.

http://www.apple.com/macosx/upgrade/requirements.html

You also might want to upgrade the video so that it doesn't seem so sluggish on your Beige G3. Possible something that supports CoreImage, but I'm assuming that will require an AGP video card. I don't know if CoreImage is supported on the PCI version of the RADEON 9200 series either, but that is definitely a better card than what's stock with the Beige G3.

You could also look into getting a used Mac that's newer than what you have. I know some people that have the Power Mac G4 dual 500 Mhz and they are running Tiger nicely even with the stock video. It's no speed demon, but you'll have a usable system with Tiger.

Here is what I found, all were tested on OSX 10.4.5:

Safari 2.0.3: Fine
Firefox 1.5: Fine
Opera 8.5: Fine
Internet Explorer 5.2: Menu breaks upon rollover
Netscape 7.1: Fine, but there's no white border on the bottom of the Event Services fly-out menu. just below Cocktail Hour.

Here is what I found, all were tested on OSX 10.4.5:

Netscape 7.1: Fine, but there's no white border on the bottom of the Event Services fly-out menu. just below Cocktail Hour.

I made a small change to the menu, wanna check it again?

Also I'm looking for someone to have a look with old versions. panther, jaguar, safari 1.x.x. Thanks.

Have you tried Mozilla 1.7.12 to see if it also works? Also try with SeaMonkey 1.0 (the continuation of the Mozilla Suite using Firefox technologies).

OK, I tested the site on a Windows machine using SeaMonkey, and it show up fine. Everything seems to work. I'm imagining that it would be the same in OS X, but it's better to try before going with my hunch. ;)

Just checked again... all issues are exactly as above:

Haven't tried Mozilla
Nice site, BTW...

Just checked again... all issues are exactly as above:

Haven't tried Mozilla
Nice site, BTW...

I just checked with Mozlla 1.7.x, I see the same problem. I have no clue why.

I'm trying to find where I can downlad IE 5.x for windows and can't find it. the menu breaking up is bad, bad. There might be a problem on older Safari versions, like 1.2.3. Waitin to find someone whi still runs that.

Thanks for the props on the design.

Steve

Back