.Mac users

Zeigan

Registered
For those of you that have bought .Mac, are you satisfied with the service? What are the biggest annoyances that you have noticed? Do you get spam mail? Are they going to expand the features of .Mac in the future?

I am getting sick of my school selling my email address and i am starting to look into other options.

Overall, i want to know if it is worth the money.

Thanks,
Rich

I'd like to have .php stuff = would need that support...

I'm getting no spam from there. But then i don't give the mac addies to the public.

Rather happy though.

It seems that the Apple-supplied Backup doesn't work very well. There are numerous forums on .Mac about this -- though you can't see them until you actually pay for the service. Nine out of 10 backups fail -- and the error dialog box always says it is an issue with the .Mac servers...

I like the mail and idisk services. Although the mail servers are sometimes down every once in a while. I don't get any spam but I rarely give out that address.

I'd love my idisk more if my work IS admins wouldn't have screwed up my Win98 box at work. Before I used to be able to upload and download from both my Mac and PC. Now I can't UPload on my PC :(

I'd love my idisk more if my work IS admins wouldn't have screwed up my Win98 box at work. Before I used to be able to upload and download from both my Mac and PC. Now I can't UPload on my PC

apple, not your IS, does not allow windows machines to upload to idisk...

Did Apple change something? Because I used to be able to upload.

I used to be able to do this from Apple's help site. But now (after the IS ppl 'fixed' my PC I couldn't even connect). I swear I could UPload before:

"If you're using Windows 98, open My Computer, double-click the Web Folders icon, then double-click Add Web Folder. Enter the following as the location to add: http://idisk.mac.com/membername-Public? (where "membername" is the other person's .Mac member name). "

Happy overall here.

Some of the payoff is still to come with address book syncing online and (hopefully) improved virex software.

But I am happy to be able to access my .mac email from Mail.app from just about anywhere (esp. to send) and make good use of the shared iDisk folder, which saves me a server.

Actually haven't used the website features. I do take a peak in the software downloads folder every now and again to see what goodies are there.

Backup has been reliable for me, though I have thankfully not needed to test that fully.

No spam to speak of yet - use this mostly for personal and patchwork client email.

Not happy overall with my .Mac account...

I LOVE my homepage service and the webpage of pictures and movies that I've been able to easily build.

I HATE the fact that uploading to my iDisk is ridiculously slow, adding attachments through the Mail.app is even slower, and my webmail has been down THE TWO TIMES i've actually really needed it.

If the service was more reliable I'd be able to live with the speed and say that I was happy overall. However, with all that has happened I don't feel my money was well spent and I don't see myself renewing my membership.

.mac is my efault email provider. i got some junk, but ok. the only problem: the filter does not operate correctly with foreign language junk (Korean in this case). And yes, iDisk is slooooow.

Back