Mac Viruses??

oh, good! ya, none of that stuff... SO do you have some tips on other ways to keep my Mac cleaned out and my identity/bank info safe?? I use the disk utility now (clean free space) I have turned on all of the security stuff, but I don't understand the file vault thing. And how to keep websites like my bank and paypal from staying on my mac.
Thanks, Dan
So long as you don't allow others to have physical access to your Mac, then you are about as safe as you can be on a computer. If you allow others to use your computer, then you should setup a managed account for this purpose. If you use your computer in public, then you should not allow auto logon. On your end, the danger is not from break-ins; the danger is from let-ins.

That said, your Mac is not the weak link in your financial transactions. The weak link is your financial institution and/or its contractors. Recently, the firm that processes debit card transactions for my bank was hacked. This type of crime is not terribly rare. There is nothing that you can do on your Mac to prevent something like this.

ok, I didn't. but is any of that true? is there a way to scan my mac for trojans/virus'? and can I protect my Identity & bank info on my mac? should I use the file vault? is there a registry or anything I need to clean out?

Forgive me, but it sounds like you were formerly (recently?) a Windows-user, Dan. It's important to remember that one of the big reasons that you switched to the Macintosh is because it allows you not to have to worry about malware.

Most Mac users don't have any AV software at all. It is almost unheard of for real-world Macs to be hacked into. There is no serious spyware for the Macintosh that can be installed without physical access. Heck, even some branches of the U.S. military use Macs because of the security they offer.

The Macintosh allows you to concentrate on getting your work done, not on keeping your computer running. Enjoy!

(As an aside, I recommend staying away from FileVault. It has a bad track record for reliability.
http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/security/topic2773.html
If you would like a recommendation for reliable encryption software, just let me know.)

hey thanks! you're right I am an old windows user, and I love my new mac! I'd love any suggestions you have for me!

Thanks! Dan

Did you want a suggestion for encryption software (assuming that you really have a need for this); AV software (which, unless you are in a business environment, you probably don't need), or just suggestions in general?

In general, the advice that I give most often to switchers is not to be paranoid about anything having to do with the Macintosh. Don't be afraid of "breaking your computer," don't be afraid of shareware, don't be afraid to change your computer's setup and to add software, don't be afraid of anything. A Macintosh isn't like a Windows PC.

Also, check out this book:

Switching to the Mac: The Missing Manual, Leopard Edition (Paperback) about $20

http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Mac...bs_sr_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1195099875&sr=1-2

or

http://silee.notlong.com

In general, the advice that I give most often to switchers is not to be paranoid about anything having to do with the Macintosh. Don't be afraid of "breaking your computer," don't be afraid of shareware, don't be afraid to change your computer's setup and to add software, don't be afraid of anything. A Macintosh isn't like a Windows PC.
And the user getting this advice starts smiling, happily enjoying his Mac experience, renames his home folder and reboots. :p
(I generally agree with you, though.)

Great! I am happy!
My wife runs 2 business', plus our own finances and parts of those have to be done online, and I do a lot of buying and selling on ebay/paypal (car parts). This is why I was so concerned about security. I really appreciate all the advice and information. Finding somebody locally who actually knows something about a mac has been difficult. Somewhere back in this thread someone mentioned that the only way anyone was going to get info off my mac, was if I downloaded any pirated versions of some software, (I dont do that) or if someone gains physical access to my mac. So I do have a lot of friends/family in and out of the house, also live a high theft neighborhood. Any suggestions on protecting info, if its stolen or accessed here in my home (bank and password info)? I heard file vault is not a good idea. I do have a password on it.

Dan

Thanks, Dan

Back