Mac vs. PC

Dubsta said:
How many PC users do you think there are as compared to Mac?

That is a hard question as some people use both. On the other hand if we are talking about the number of PC (Windows) systems in use compared to the number of Mac (Apple and clone) systems in use, it is about an 8 to 1 ratio. The life span of a PC is far shorter than the life span of a Mac which helps weight the result far beyond the 19 to 1 market share most people quote (which is only for newly purchased equipment).

I have known PC users to replace their systems up to once a year, but I think 18 months is about average. Mac users tend to keep their system for about 3 to 4 years before replacing there systems, though I have seen longer (I use a 1992 Macintosh Quadra 950 on a daily basis for burning CDs and some page layout work).

Do you mean the operating system (windows vs mac os) or platforms (x86 vs ppc/56k)

If your going by the OS, bare in mind that the numbers on both sides will be scewed because of bsd,linux,ect.

Or if your going by platform, it won't be quite as skewered, but there is also sparc.

Trillian said:
... but there is also sparc.

There is far more than SPARC based systems to be included. In my home alone I have the following:

• 6 Motorola 68k based systems
    5 PowerPC based systems
    3 MIPS (SGI) based systems
    3 Intel x86 based systems
    2 SPARC (Sun) based systems

And there are also Alpha and PA-RISC based systems too. Infact I know I've forgotten some platforms.

I have a dual 1 gig quicksilver as my main graphics/animation/audio/MIDI/web development machine and a PC to play games (2gig p4) (mostly flight sims, and MechWarrior stuff).

I'm always doing comparisons between the 2, and besides games, I find my PC is best for viewing Flash sites (a site I built on the Mac is MUCH slower on the Mac than the PC-this sucks). On the other hand, due to viruses, I never use the PC to retrieve email or surf the web (except to test web sites I create).

Love the Mac, but the PC gets a workout in my house as well.
John
GALLERY- http://homepage.mac.com/johnselvia/
LEARN BINARY- http://www.johnselvia.com/binary/binary.html
FLASH SITE- http://www.johnselvia.com/

I have an AMD 2100+ XP pc.

I have a 12-inch 1ghz Powerbook G4.

I have a 60mhz Sun SparcStation 20.

The sun would be cool if it werent such an incompatible piece of s**t.

Same with the PC :p

So,

We're outlining the score of computers there seems to be a host of other compents that are missing from this equation. I suppose we could chug them in there as well:
  • There was the NeXT
  • All of the Windows CE and Palmo OS computers
  • If we go ghetto and get historical (TI, Commodore, Vic20, TRS-80, etc. How many people have a Coleco ADAM in their mom's basement)
  • Remember Packard Bell- They were really big once
  • Digital Systems
  • NEC
  • Daystar
  • Zenith
  • Amiga

I remember a day in the late 80's and early 90's where just about every electronic powerhouse in the world was churrning out their own version of the Personal Computer. Not all of them were Wintel Machines and some have been ressurected over the years.

Doesn't Amiga have a new version of its OS coming out?

All of that being said, let's talk about the really important aspect of a computer and why we use Macs...

While I have several of the aforementioned machines in my home and right now I'm typing this message on my Pentium III Compaq, I have no less than 10 Macintosh machines in my home all of which I use on a daily basis. They work. While I've fixed my Wintel machines regularly, including programs as a programmer, I've only upgraded my Mac machines and I have gotten some great use out of them! My REAL Basic programs on my Mac always work better and have an easier time out of the box with less work required. Why is that?

To make a point:

Mac users keep their technology longer because beyond the market share aspects of some other companies, Apple's just work and are functional. I can make music with my Mac. I can edit video with my Mac. I can even plug my cell phone in with out buying a program or downloading software (really, true ) and it just works synchronizing my calendar and everything.

All of this is really cool when considering what a personal computer is supposed to do. When I do the same things on my PC I have to configure for hours, download a disk or two and then maybe I'm right. Furthermore, then when it doesn't work I realized I should have bought a compeltely different product and I end up spending more than I wanted and if I had gone with the Mac initally I would have been all right. This is true for almost everything except for the hardcore gamers and asp developers using MS exclusive technology (which there are better and more alternatives out there.)

So, with all of that being said. Who cares if the rest of the world is using PC's for things. Not everyone understands why its more than cool to drive a Mercedes Benz and less enlightened people would have you believe its only a name that you're buying. We all know why we use Apple and for me at the core of every Apple principle its simply that 'it works.'

Back