mac won't restart

matt9b

Registered
My dual 1.8ghz G5 won't restart. When I click on restart, the computer looks like it will restart and does everything it should.. log out.. etc, but when it comes to turning back on again, the screen just stays black.

If I have to restart it, I have to turn it on and off loads of times until it agrees to boot up. The hard disks and power turn on, and then everything stops. The screen just stays black.

Sometimes, the screen will turn on white and stay white. Sometimes the apple/question mark icon appears. Sometimes a strange set of lines will appear in the middle of the screen exactly where the apple option/questionmark usually appears. Sometimes a white text mode screen appears with the options "boot-mac" or "log-out". Most of the time the screen just stays black and OS doesn't boot up at all. Some times I turn it on and it's fine and all works and boots up normally.

I experienced the above for some time, about 7 months ago. Then the problem went away for 7 months and all has been working fine.

For the past 7 months, the mac has been working fine and it was restarting and booting up normally. Now, the problem has returned once again.

Apple Logic Pro is frequently crashing on me at the moment, and force quit doesn't work. So, I have to restart the mac. This can take up to an hour at a time to do as it simply won't restart!

Any help would be appreciated, I have a lot of work on as a student in my final year and no money at all. I appreciate the help.

Hmm anyone?

I have managed to get it to boot up again, but I would like to know how to fix this problem :)

So if anyone knows an answer, I would deeply appreciate help

Is that Mac still under warranty? If so, take it to Apple before it runs out.

BTW, which version of OS X are you running? Did you install the G5 firmware update that's available for the older G5 systems? Pull up Software Update and make sure that you can download it there (it should show up there if it's not upgraded).

nixgeek said:
Is that Mac still under warranty? If so, take it to Apple before it runs out.

BTW, which version of OS X are you running? Did you install the G5 firmware update that's available for the older G5 systems? Pull up Software Update and make sure that you can download it there (it should show up there if it's not upgraded).

Thanks for the advice. There is no "firmware" update in the software update section on the mac.

I bought it second hand, the warranty has run out. Is there a way to get it fixed without a warranty? Computer repair shops don't repair macs. I was thinking about replacing the graphics card (I heard it might be that.. but I am wary to risk messing it up)

I think he's referring to the PMU battery. I don't know exactly where it would be located on the PM G5 1.8 dually, but it should be in there. Head over to Apple and download the manual for your Mac or do a search on their support regarding the PMU battery on that particular G5.

You could get it fixed, but it might cost you some $$. Try and take it to the nearest Apple Store or Authorized Apple repair center. You might even want to contact Apple as to where you can take it in near your area.

hmm yeah I have no car though, and as a student, no money, so there is no way for me to transport this thing or to pay for a repair. It's kinda critical to my degree. I have looked on the apple site a few times but can find no email support.

say if i manage to find the "PMU battery". how do I check if it is working? thanks for the help

Have you installed any new PCI cards lately? Are there any external drives connected to your mac?

Back