mac won't turn on

felipa rosado

Registered
hi, i am a bit worried because my powerbook g4 won't turn on. When you switch on the power it boots up but then it stays for about 20 min on the page with the apple and the loading circle, then the page goes blue and stays that was forever. I've tried Option, command p r but no luck. Can you help?

Do you have the installation discs for it? If so, boot from that by holding down the "C" key after the startup chime once the disc is in the drive. Once you're at the welcome screen for the installation, go to the menu at the top and look for Disk Utility. Launch that and then run a disk repair on your drive. Run that 2-3 times. Once that's done and it says everything is OK, run a Repair Permissions task a couple of times. Usually when the permissions have been repaired, you won't see much output as you would doing it the first time around. After you've done that, exit from Disk Utility and then exit from the installation (this should tell you to restart). See if it helps after this.

May be a stupid response but make sure you don't have and iPod Shuffle plugged in. It will treat it as a disk to boot from and cycle over and over. If anyone has a fix for this make a thread.

ok, I've got the same problem but with a MacBookPro, only the circle keeps going, been on more than 20 mins now..

is it safe to follow same instructions (and did these work for you Felipa?) given above?

thanks so much if you can help with this!!

Stella

Well I followed the instructions anyway and at first it gave me "this disk is not repairable" .. then i ran verify followed by repair & it seemed to work. ran repair a few times (showed repaired) then verify again a few times. Then exited & restarted ... but same darn thing: circle goes round & round ... as before.

help! :( am very distressed about this .. it's a new machine!

if you can skype me would b very grateful! my skypename is StefaniaStrega

Back