.Mac, Worth it?

I think it's HIGHLY subjective whether @mac.com sounds better or worse than @gmail.com. I never cared much for a mac.com E-Mail account. However to me, gmail.com's much more attractive.

I too think .mac isn't really worth the money. Sure, there are a lot of goodies etc., but I don't buy them as long as I'm no .mac user, so why should I count the worth of those items as money? Antiviral software: No need for it, really. Backup software? Oh I got _that_ covered better than Apple's backup software. I don't need 'webspace' (got that for free from my provider, anyway) but a real webserver at my command (databases, cgis etc.). E-Mail is free and I do have my own domain... Sure, I might not be your average user, but then again who _is_ the average user... I think Apple will either have to up the features drastically this year or lower the price. Unless they hold .mac as some kind of prestige feature, which they don't _seem_ to do.

I just hope they acknowledge that many of their users do _not_ do .mac early enough. Sync services in Tiger is somehow "built around" .mac. And even in iSync currently you can't get rid of the stupid .mac icon, which is a UI failure since it's not a 'device' I have - unless I pay.

So essentially, DanTek Geek, the general thrust of this thread is that you have to make up your own mind. You have heard those that are in favour and those that are not. Personally I think that it is a good thing, but, as you will have seen, there are those that think it is a bad thing.

There is a 30-day free trial. Take it and judge for yourself, m8. If you think it is worth the $90 per year (approx.) that it costs, take advantage of the offer. If you din't think it's worth the money, then let it lapse. We can't make up your mind - that's something YOU have to do.

But let us know what your decision is, because, if we weren't interested, we wouldn't have posted here!

Back