.Mac

Has Dot Mac changed your opinion of Apple?

• It's Apple prerogative to start charing for iTools-like services and I'll happily pay for it.

Votes: 31 32.3%
  • Apple's got be kidding if they think I'll pay that much for something that used to be free

Votes: 51 53.1%
  • I'm shocked: I'll never think of Apple the same way again

Votes: 22 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Originally posted by ghyde
And Crap, I just finished changing all my email listings (including 250 business cards) with my mac.com address. Heck, I was figuring it would be the One address I'd have the rest of my life.

A Great bragging right once had over Windows users has been taken away.

I know what you mean. Now I have to go back to my Jasoco.com mail which is riddled with Spam. Dammit. I really thought I'd have the mac.com address forever and set it to be all my default address in all the Forums I visit as well as all my friends and relatives. Now I have to change again.

*sigh*

They have 74 days to change their .mac policy. If they make at least the mail free (Without the hidden charge and stuff and activation crap) I'll keep it. If not, I get to spend hours running around changing my email address on all the sites I visit. God DAMMIT.

myself, i'm kinda pissed about this. there's nothing lower then a company suddenly charging for service that was offered for free to begin with. i'd thought Apple was above that kinda thing but..... :shrugs:

i'm only bothered because my band's website was hosted at homepage.mac.com. oh well, i have plenty of back up, none-free webspace, but it's still annoying to switch it over. bad Apple...i'd slap them on the hand if i could. instead i'm gonna play 129 bucks for Jaguar in a month or so. this all makes me feel like a sucker...but i have so little to complain about, i guess.

Apple is slowly turning into Microsoft :( I understand why they charge for the services now, but couldn't they lower the price. You are talking US$100 right? That's aoubt $250 Australian bucks for me, and I can't afford that. I'm only a 15 year old high school student, working at McDonald's who pay next to nothing. I now have to find another e-mail address, which is by no means easy, seeing as no one does free email these days.

Couldn't Apple run the mac.com emails for a lower fee, and the full .mac membership separately?

Hey Mr. Jobs-

I can easily understand how you would want to charge for the services. Except, the mail should be free and charge for the rest. I mean come on, I can get a email adress for free. I already have virus detection software. I have my iMac doing my web hosting. I have no need for iCal and have no idea why anyone would want to put secure data on it anyways, so I see no use for it. Have I missed anything else?

The email service should be free. If you expect me to pay one penny for it after forking over $5000+ for hardware and another few hundred for software(and I'm sure that my numbers are just a drop in the bucket compared to others), screw you I'm out. For all of you suckers that thin $100 is a reasonable price for all of the other services. Best wishes. It's your money to burn.

Steve you seemed like you were on the right track there for a minute. Now I guess you are listening to Accountants instead of your own ideas. (Sorry if I offend any accountants, naaaaa) I understand the need for charging for the extra services outside of the email, but your price is ridiculous man. So go ahead and charge. I'll be switching back to one of my free emails.

See ya.
SA:p

I just realized most of my spams were sent to my mac.com email, but then forwarded to my ISP email account! Yay! No more spams, lol

I am gonna miss my .mac account soo much... boohoo

I'm pretty sure everyone feels the same way! :( :( :(

Much Love,

The Mac Geekette

I wish to also clarify: I'm not So miffed at the for-fee platform. I'm miffed at how much they're charging, but I', Pissed because they threw us a sucker punch with the 'ol bait-and-switch (ie, how do you like that free oxygen? We'll, guess what, if you wanna Keep breathing at the end of September, it's gonna coat you.)

How long can you hold your breath?

Originally posted by kommakazi
You can still get a Mac.com e-mail address without the rest of the .Mac package for only $10 a year! That's less than $1 a month, you could find the money for that in your couch or scattered in your car!

where is this $10 rate for email only? all i could find on the website was $100 for a whole package. i don t need antivirus (can someone tell me about an OSX virus?), or backup (iDisk is pretty damn slow, even with a fast cable modem).

so i don t want to pay $100 for services i won t use, but i would definitely pay $10 for the email address. please point me to this option, kommakazi.

It's Apple prerogative to start charing for iTools-like services... but they shouldn't expect that I'll pay for it....

I don't really use it, so I probably won't miss it much... But I guess I expected I'd start using it more once more people in my family started converting to OSX.

well seems like that petition thing has grown quite a bit,,, 20382. It'll be great if the price goes down but come to think about it, its only US$49.95 for all those services, sure virus protection is BS but 150MB of storage and 15MB mail account is worth that price.
If the price doesnt go down by the end of sept, I might just pay up;)

Please be aware, as it has been mentioned previously in this topic, the $49.95 is for current itool members, and ONLY FOR THE FIRST YEAR!! Read the fine print, people...

After that, once you're dug in More deep, it will be $100.00 a year (And perhaps more)!

This is why I reject the concept of Network Computers: You will have to Pay for everything that you use to do for free (once you had the software), when everything you needed was on your very own hard drive.

After a lot of thought, I'm not convinced that paying for .mac is such a Bad Thing(tm). I have decided to wait until after 10.2 and the other apps that take advantage of .mac are released before passing final judgement. I may try it for the first year (at half price) and see how it goes.

I certainly hope that they enhance the current feature set of homepage and make it more reliable. It would be nice if they threw in QT Pro for the paying subscribers.

It probably won't do much good moaning to Apple about it either. If they are aiming for only 10% of existing iTools users to pay up, it stands to reason that they expect 90% of us to complain.

Who knows, maybe at the end of the first year I might decide that .mac is a Good Thing(tm) and continue to pay.

I'm already making other plans. I'm checking out networkdesigner.net, and, or course, macosx.com's email offerings. It just means I have 250 business cards (My First Ever) with an already dated email address, and my Good email address will be in turmoil in the near future. I can't afford to pay half price for the first year and THEN bail.

Look, if you have internet access (required to use itools/.mac) you already have an email address that you are paying for. If you don't want to pay Apple, then just don't.
If you're grandmom has her knitting club website on homepage.mac.com, then she should shell out some money to keep it.
People like to think that only some business have charge for things. Companies like M$ don't have to charge you, they just want your money. So now Apple has become an evil company, blah blah.
Bottom line is that this is a great service, which unfortunately not everyone will be able to afford. My guess is that Apple will make some of it available for free, but not yet. Simple email access should be free, but even with that, Apple really is burning money.
Throw a party for all of your friends, everyday, for 24hrs a day and don't charge them for pizza, cokes, beer, etc. See how long you can keep that up before the hole in your pocket is gaping and you change the party to byob!

dave17lax

The third issue for me is Not paying for the service, but How Much they want me to pay.

The second issue is the Drastically, and over night change to Apple policy. Like I said Way up stream; the fact that Apple was NOT like Micorsoft was one of the reasons I favored and bragged about them (see the discussion going on at MacFixIt.com and Tidbits.com).

The Main issue is that were were told it was free forever, that the email address will Always be free. In this time of musical chair email address, having a stable, forever dependable (ie, the conditions for having it don't change once you've committed to it) is crucial.

Hmmm, just had an idea for an interesting survey of those for/against the fee-based .Mac services. I wonder if there's a connection between Democratic inclination, and Republican??

hmm I just think there are certain times when you can't count on things to go the way we'd hope. i think it would be great if they could keep the services free, but you have to be realistic. anyway i won't be paying, but for those that fit the bill i think it's a good deal. i am saving up for oh-so-many toys (flat screen monitor, ibook, adobe/ms/apple upgrades, clothes, food, beer, rent)

Back