Macbook Core 2 Duo compatibility issues

pds

Registered
A third logicboard failure on a G3 iBook has accelerated my purchase of a c2d Macbook. In general it is very sweet. I love the keyboard, the bright screen and Parallels. (cohesion is awesome) but several programs are giving me a hard time.

My old friend Eudora won't run on it - so I had to go the long way around using a older mini to import my mail into Mail.app. I will miss Eudora, we've been working together since 1994. I hope she comes back with thunder! ;)

I can't install Adobe CS2, the installer starts to run and then just quits before even fully appearing on the dock. Seashore won't install either. (I just need to be able to draw a couple of diagrams.)

Even the MS Office 2004 test-drive that came pre-installed won't boot.

Does anyone else have similar experience? Is this a c2d issue, or do I have a hardware problem?

Macbook 1.8 c2d / 1.25 gig Ram / 10.4.8

Not sure if Eudora will run, but try setting it to open under Rosetta.
Don't know about the others.

Eudora® email moves to open source development and delivers final commercial version -- Eudora 7.1 for Windows and 6.2.4 for Mac OSX.

The open source version of Eudora® is targeted to be released during the first half of calendar year 2007 and will be free of charge. Once the open source version of Eudora is released, QUALCOMM will cease to sell Eudora commercially. Until then, the current commercial versions are available for the reduced price of $19.95 with a six-month period of technical support. All prior technical support commitments continue to be honored.

Thanks for the quick response bobw.

Isn't rosetta transparent? How would I set a program to "open under rosetta"?

I tried installing 6.2.4 and the program icon has a red circle/slash over it and it says it won't work on the computer. The other programs don't show the slash, but won't install (won't even open).

aside - I look forward to seeing what comes out of the open-source channel for Eudora. I am not a big fan of Mail - I could have stayed with E 6.2.4 for a long time.

Yes, Rosetta is transparent. I can't tell you much about it as I don't have an Intel Mac yet.

But highlight the Eudora installer and go to the File Menu to Get Info. I think you can set it to open under Rosetta.

Someone else should be along to help more.

When I get info on Seashore or CS2 or Eudora installers - I don't see the "open in Rosetta" checkbox. (ahaa - it says Seashore is PPC - I thought I got the Universal one)

* checks link

Ah - the universal binary for Seashore is squirreled away on this page.

5 minutes remaining on the d/l. I'll report back.

OK - Seashore works now - at least it opens and I can finish making my exam. Oh my students will be so happy :D

The "Open in Rosetta" seems to be for UB apps that may have non-universal plug-ins.

The problem with Eudora remains. The installer works fine, but the installed app will not run.

As for CS and Office, no biggie since Seashore works and I use NeoOffice and Pages.

No biggie - maybe, but it _should_ work fine. Does on all intel Macs I've tried... Without any tricks etc., mind you.

So, since it doesn't, what do you think it could be? Hardware? Software?

The machine is brand new. It came with 10.4.8. The dealer installed one gig stick of ram, and left in one of the stock 256.

Well Fryke - I took your advice - even though you didn't give it :D

I ran across another thread in which you suggested re-installing a brand-new installation and since I didn't have much new stuff on it that couldn't be re-installed, I ran the CD.

Now everything (seems to) boot fine. I still have to try to install Eudora, I'll report back - again.

BTW - thanks for trying with the feed from the keynote. Guess the phone was kind of overwhelming.... :)

I installed Eudora 6.2.4 for OS X on 2 MacBook Pro Core 2 Duos and they work just fine.

Since both MBPs have multiple accounts, each account has its own Euora Application Folder which I placed in the users' Library - Application Support folder. Upon starting Eudora the Eudora Mail Folder is placed in the users' Documents folder. Everyrhing works as it should. Since Eudora runs under Rosetta it's not blazingly fast. However, it is faster on the MBPs (2.33GHZ, 2GB RAM) than on my old PowerBook G4 (1GHZ, 1GB RAM) running 10.3.9.

I hope this helps!

Cheers
Peter

Why waste your diskspace (small as that waste may be) with multiple installs of the program?

I run Eudora on a G4 mini with multiple accounts (the mb is mine, all mine!) and they all run using one instance of Eudora in the Applications Folder. Even with fast user switching, it ran with each account's Eudora Mail Folder in Documents.

PDS asked:

Why waste your diskspace (small as that waste may be) with multiple installs of the program?​

I have experienced interference when several accounts have Eudora open at the same time. Especially if reading mail is set to occur automatically after a specified period of time. It is really a very small penalty on dsik space for the users to have to have their own Eudora copy. In most cases their stored mail and attachments is a much bigger disk hog than the application.

Cheers
Peter

Back