Macbook graphics in OSX vs graphics in Windows

Packbacker92

Registered
I just got a new black macbook with 2 gigs of RAM and a 200 gig HD. I was planning to install windows XP using bootcamp because I heard that the graphics are better while running windows, and there are some games that are only for PCs that I would like to play on my mac. I read on wikipedia that while running windows, the macbook's Intel GMA 950 graphics can "borrow" over 200 megabytes of memory while in OSX it can only borrow 64. I don't know if this is true because wikipedia is not the best place to get information, but I wanted to see if anyone on here knows. If the games I want to play (Need for Speed most wanted and some others) won't be at least playable on my macbook then there is no use for me installing windows at all. So please respond and let me know if what I heard is true.

All the Need for Speed titles that I've tried run fine in Windows. What Wikipedia says about the memory allocation is not true; OS X only reports 64MB, but it can use up to 256MB. The performance difference you're getting is not because of how much memory is available.

All the Need for Speed titles that I've tried run fine in Windows. What Wikipedia says about the memory allocation is not true; OS X only reports 64MB, but it can use up to 256MB. The performance difference you're getting is not because of how much memory is available.

I also agree. You can't always trust Wikipedia on everything (however, it does make a good research tool ;))

Back