MacBook Pro Battery

Hmmmm. I'm a bit confused. My MBP is the one piece, cast Aluminum with black keyboard and black trim around the display, but I can easily remove the battery by popping off the back (just lift the lever) and pulling the small plastic tab; the battery then instantly comes away.

I can't see how that's non user replaceable.

I bought mine in November of last year, so maybe they had changed they way the batteries are fitted by then (?).

I'll be calling the Apple Store next week and have a word with them about this.

Thanks for your help.

Thanks, Giaguara!

Ok, last question: the Apple support site says that if you're going to be using you MBP for an extended period of time on mains power you should take your battery out.

How long is an extended period of time?

I've just plugged in my Lacie backup drive to run a Time Machine backup, but it's not due to run for another hour and my battery percentage is dropping through the floor because of the extra power load.

Should I take my battery out or can I safely run my MBP from mains power with the battery in for a couple of hours or so without diminishing the battery's life?

Last edited:
Ok, I've gone through those very detailed and elaborate steps to recalibrate my MacBook Pro battery and here is what I have:

I couldn't recharge it in one go without leaving it charging all night (and I didn't want to leave it "over charging"), so I stopped it, went to bed, and let it charge up until the power light went green the next morning.

I've just restarted it/awoken it now, logged in, and it says I have 98% battery capacity and in the last 5-8 minutes it's shown a remaining charge time of between 4:44 and 2:28 minutes.

In short, not encouraging.

I don't know where Apple get this figure of 7 hours of battery life. Mine has never at any point shown anything close to that.

I'm just burning a CD and it's showing a remaining life of 2:48 - this has now just jumped to 3:08. I have the screen brightness down to almost black and no other apps running other than the burner and this web browser.

I have to say I'm disappointed.

The cycle count now says 92 whereas it said 90 when I began the recharge cycle.

Do I need to get in touch with my local Apple Store?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Actually you can get 7 hours of battery life IF and Only you adjust the brightness to less than 50% and do not open more than one application (Safari with one tab and 100% signal of WIFI without any download for example). I got 8 hours and 10 minutes once but the brightness was adjusted at the minimum and I had no applications running. What you should remember is that if Apple says the battery lasts 7 hours, that means it will last for just 4-5 hours of normal use. But that's a good thing actually: just compare it to other computers (PCs or MACs).
And finally, Your battery is certainly an exception because I have a macbook pro 13" with more than 120 battery cycles and the battery is working perfectly! (Lasts at least 4 hours and never "lies" about what is shows)

Back