MacBook Pro fan bearing

dr fletch

Registered
I've got an extremely noisy fan in my MacBook Pro. It's pretty obvious the bearing has gone. Replacement is the simple solution I hear you say. BUT, I have to hand over the computer for a turnaround perion of up to ten days (quoted). Apple won't allow any service centre to order the part unless they have the machine and fit it themselves. Are they mad? I can't be without this thing for more than an afternoon. I'm gonna shove a screwdriver in it and stop the thing. Never mind the warranty or the overheating potential. My sanity is more important. Yes, I've backed up.

Anyone got any other ideas?

appreciated

I wouldn't stop the fan. MacBooks run extremely hot, and you'll probably encouter random shut down issues very shortly. The sensor on the CPU which tells the fan to kick on was faulty on a run of MacBooks, and nearly all of them experienced random shut downs once the CPU got too hot. The fan is a very easy part to replace, three screws and a piece of tape are all that hold it down. The tape is there to prevent heat escaping from the Heat Sink before contacting the fan enclosure. Apple obviously did this for a reason. Unfortunately no AASP will just order a part on your word. Even though you have a %90+ of being right. I'd just wear headphones until you can get this taken care of.

If you're going to do it anyway, you might want to look into Zodiac cooling pad. The plastic case of the MacBook doesn't transfer heat very well, but it MIGHT work.

Thanks for the overheat warning. I have calmed down now and realized it must be repaired correctly. Slightly annoying but a small price to pay for the joys of Mac ownership

Not that it really matters as you'd likely encounter the same shut down issue with a MacBook Pro, but I misread your post to be a MacBook. (which only has one fan.) The Mac Book Pro has two, Left and Right. It's a more extensive repair entailing removal of the LB and many other components, but Apple put two fans in for a reason, the last thing you'd want is to spend 3 hours working on something and having the computer turn itself off on you, losing all your work. Cooling pads would, however, work MUCH better with MacBook Pros, as the casing is aluminum and transfers heat much better.

Back