MacBook Pro gets Core 2 Duo

As far as I know, all iterations of Core 2 Duo are 64-bit. While Tiger only supports 64-bits for UNIX apps, Leopard will be 64-bits all around.

As far as I know, all iterations of Core 2 Duo are 64-bit. While Tiger only supports 64-bits for UNIX apps, Leopard will be 64-bits all around.

Yeah I think you're right from what I've read on wikipedia. I should never trust things people post on slashdot.

i was waiting for the mbp to go core 2 duo before i bought one. currently i own the original 17" imac core duo dual 1.83. i read somewhere that in january apple should be releasing the core2duo mbp on a new motherboard or something..called santa fe? i could be mistaken...anyway, is it worth it to wait till january for the new mbp or should i just order one now.

Intel will be delivering a new chipset early 2007 which will bump the FSB up to 1000+MHz from 667 right now. No doubt it'll increase performance somewhat.

would you recommend waiting until then or getting one now? do you think theyll change anything else on the computer or just the bus

If you really want one now I'd buy one now. I did just buy one myself. They're always improving things so if you keep waiting you're never going to buy anything. I don't know what they're changing besides the chipset though.

well im an architecture student and i dont technically need a computer till next year but people bring in their macbooks all the time to studio and i seehow convenient it is so id like to get one relatively soon. i can wait till next semester however, if it means 2.66ghz and 1ghz bus...

If you don't need one, I suggest waiting for something better. But remember, there is ALWAYS something better on the horizon, so it's just one of those bite the bullet and get one or wait moments. Personally I really need one now cause this iMac is getting really slow, so my decision has already been made.

I'm just interested if anyone has received their new Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros yet? I ordered mine around October 30th, and it's now November 8th and there still isn't a single unit to be seen in any stores around here. I was told that a total of ONE unit was being shipped over to Australia today, and another 13 tomorrow...I was hoping to have it by the weekend, seeing as it's my birthday and all.

Macbook Core 2 Duo vs Core Duo benchmarks.

In some applications, you see up to a 75% increase in performance. Bear in mind, that the clock speed of the two macbooks are different, with the Core 2 Duo sporting an 8% increase in clockspeed. Nevertheless, the performance gains are impressive to say the least.

I'm feeling jealous...

That's pretty impressive, especially the Photoshop tests. I wonder if maybe the Core 1 machine was running an older version of OS X than the Core 2. I've heard that the latest OS X update has dramatically improved the performance of Rosetta, so if they were not both running 10.4.8, that could account for a lot of the difference with Photoshop.

It could also be that Photoshop is optimized for 64-bit chips (like the G5 and Core 2), and that that optimization shines through even under Rosetta.

I'm just interested if anyone has received their new Core 2 Duo MacBook Pros yet? I ordered mine around October 30th, and it's now November 8th and there still isn't a single unit to be seen in any stores around here. I was told that a total of ONE unit was being shipped over to Australia today, and another 13 tomorrow...I was hoping to have it by the weekend, seeing as it's my birthday and all.

I ordered mine on the 3rd, it shipped on the 5th and claims to be here on the 17th (slower as i get a discount through my institution but that means they use some weird shipping). I guess this means they are in switzerland at least, though i don't know of any that have arrived yet.

I'm pretty excited though, my first new mac in more than three and a half years, up to then i'd had every chip class except the G5 and had new machines regularly (performa 630 68LC040-->Umax Apus 2000 603e-->G3 Bondi rev a iMac-->G4 Sawtooth-->G4 alubook 12").

I ordered mine on a Thursday night arount 11PM and it shipped that Saturday. Then arrived the following Tuesday. It shipped very fast and arrived very fast.

This is ridiculous...here in Australia we're still waiting for the new MacBook Pros to hit the shelves, yet the new Core 2 Duo MacBooks are already here, despite the Pros being announced _before_ the MacBooks. This is turning out to be the longest wait for a birthday present ever...

Back