MacBook Pro line updated

It's part of Intel's Santa Rosa.

A 800mhz front side bus that uses 667mhz memory is dumb. If that is part of Santa Rosa chip set some one need to send Intel eng. back to school to learn how to design chips sets right. On the dark side or PC if you have a 800 mhz or 1066 mhz front side bus it uses the same speed memory to make the most of the bus speed.

A 800mhz front side bus that uses 667mhz memory is dumb. If that is part of Santa Rosa chip set some one need to send Intel eng. back to school to learn how to design chips sets right. On the dark side or PC if you have a 800 mhz or 1066 mhz front side bus it uses the same speed memory to make the most of the bus speed.

I read somewhere that sometimes using the seemingly faster RAM doesn't always mean that you're going to get a major speed increase. They mentioned something about DDR2-667 memory possibly having better CAS levels than what was found on the DDR2-800 modules, which is why most companies have stuck with the DDR2-667. It was a tradeoff balance, I imagine....better to have the slower transfer rate with less latency levels than higher transfer with higher latency levels. Of course, having the DDR2-800 with matching CAS levels of the DDR2-667 would probably be better, but I don't know if that's available yet.

Of course, I could be wrong (and probably am :p).

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Back