MacBook Pro RAM

jprupas

Registered
How much do you guys think I can sell my 1GB MBP RAM in pursuit of upgrading to the 2GB chip? and where is the best venue to sell such an item?

Is there even a demand for these?

My system seems to get tied up often when I have multiple programs open (spinning wheel), but the processor viewer shows little work. I assume that more RAM would help in instances such as this.

The 2GB looks to be about $350 which is a lot of $ for me.

Probably eBay and for either the same amount or less..probably less since it is technically "used" RAM.

Are you sure you're running Universal Binaries of the applications you're using and not strictly PowerPC-based OS X apps? Right-click (if you have a two-button mouse) or Control-click the applications that are slowing down and select "Get Info." If you see the term "Application (PowerPC)" under the "Kind:" section, then the application is running under Rosetta to allow the Intel-based Macintosh to run applications that were written for the PowerPC architecture, resulting in a performance hit due to the code translation. If it says "Kind: Application (Universal)", then the application is a Universal Binary which means it contains code that's native to Intel and PowerPC processors. And if it says "Kind: Application (Intel)", then the application will only run on the Intel-based Macs.

Thanks nigeek.

You are right, a lot of my apps are the older versions and not universal (Photoshop CS, FCP, Microsoft word, etc.)

I wish I had the cash to buy all the newest apps but that is a lot of cash :)

I guess I will just live with it for now.

This is true. There are free and open source options for Mac OS X that are UB or Intel-only out there that might tide you over until you do have the cash for those commercial apps, but that's up to you to use them.

http://nothickmanuals.info/doku.php/opensourcemac
http://www.opensourcemac.org/

If you want a replacement for MS Office, I recommend NeoOffice. While OpenOffice is also nice and probably higher in version features, the interface leaves a lot to be desired compared to NeoOffice.

If you see the term "Application (PowerPC)" under the "Kind:" section, then the application is running under Rosetta to allow the Intel-based Macintosh to run applications that were written for the PowerPC architecture, resulting in a performance hit due to the code translation. If it says "Kind: Application (Universal)", then the application is a Universal Binary which means it contains code that's native to Intel and PowerPC processors. And if it says "Kind: Application (Intel)", then the application will only run on the Intel-based Macs.

This is really interesting info... wasn't aware of that. So if I'm running MS Office Word for the Mac and it's a PowerPC app, more RAM would help speed things up?

This is really interesting info... wasn't aware of that. So if I'm running MS Office Word for the Mac and it's a PowerPC app, more RAM would help speed things up?

It will, but only to a certain extent. From what the people have said here, performance is that of a Power Macintosh G3. Depending on the application, the performance hit might not make a difference. However, with something like Photoshop or anything that requires processing power you're going to definitely notice the slowdown.

Back