MacBook Pro rejecting all recordable CDs

anerki

Registered
Hi,

On a MacBook Pro 17" I bought about 4 months ago it appears to be rejecting all recordable CDs. It makes no distinction between Recorded Audio, Software or unwritten CDRs.

It makes a "funny" clicking noise when inserting recordables. It has no issue with standard factory audio CDs and official movie DVDs.

I didn't really try it before now (welcome to the world of networks) so I wouldn't know if this came like that on delivery or if it's new. Either way it worries me.

My first impression was to just send it back to Apple and request that they either fix it, or replace it. Before I do that though (I'd miss the lovely sucker) I was wondering if there's a history of problems with the MacBook Pro in taht area (I know the iMac Superdrives were junk but this isn't really an iMac ;)) or if there's a Firmware update I should attempt first.

Afaik I've installed everything that came up on Software Update (and that includes Firmware updates, right?).

Regards,
Frederik-Jan

If there was a firmware update, it would show up in software update. In fact, some people are reporting problems after the update (edit: lots of people: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1013920&tstart=15). I would bring this in. I would also strongly recommend getting the 3-year AppleCare plan, especially for a laptop. If you ever need a hardware repair outside the normal warranty period, it will pay for itself.

Yeah, definitely :) AppleCare payed off big time on my old PowerBook G4 I ended up using for 6 years :)

I'll bring it in and have it fixed then I guess. Sigh, bring me a replacement Easter bunny? :p

I see this is a fairly old post, but wanted to comment. My 15" Macbook Pro is really picky about media too, but it's not just recorded CDs, DVDRs, etc... its everything. But what I have found that works really well is to gently insert the disc and when the drive "grabs" it, hold on to the disc a little before releasing it. (and I mean, just briefly, I don't play tug of war with it, heh heh). I have found it works 100% better that way. I rarely get a bad disc load now.

Back