Macbook pro second display res

linux_cat

Registered
hey guys, i got a problem and im tearing my hair out...

Ive got an acer 1916w lcd screen that i use as a second screen for my mabook, and it supports 1440x900 res...but when i go to display in preferences even though the macbook has that res it doesnt give me the option to select it for my second display, the result is a letter box effect when i select mirror display.....

is there anyway that i can add that res setting for my second display??

If you are using the mirroring then it will have to be a resolution that matches the one on your internal screen. If you don't use mirroring then you should be able to set it to whatever.

Thanks for the reply,

The thing is i cant select 1440x900 for the second display, it has every other res setting apart from that one??

the macbook pros res is set to 1440x900 when i click the mirror display it goes into a sort of vertical horrizontal and my second display goes into a vertical letter box..

why cant i select 1440x900 on my second display? is this an error, can everyone else select it on there macbook pro.

Hum... Do you get anything different if you set the colors to thousands rather than millions? It could be a bandwidth problem, but that is really a stretch.

When you turn on mirroring what resolution do the screens claim to be operating at?

Nope nothing, still the same resolutions selectable in the second display??...

can you select 1440x900 on your second display?

Nope but I also don't have it as a choice on my first display, I am between Powerbooks at the moment and using my wife's MacBook which does not have that high of a resolution. I wonder if there is a way to get a customized monitor description or the like that might provide that resolution for you.

what you mean by a customized monitor description? are these downloadable profiles or something?

Thanks for the feedback so far.

what you mean by a customized monitor description? are these downloadable profiles or something?

In the mists of a tile long lost I seem to remember that there was an XML file somewhere that you put a custom description into to access nonstandard resolutions and refresh rates. I recall doing that for an old TiBook and a wonky 21" monitor but I really don't remember more than that.

Sorry for the lack of certainty and illumination.

yesh tried all that, its a werid one have no idea why it wont let me select the optimum resolution for my second monitor......but then again i got the first batch of macbooks that had all the heat problems, I rang apple, they wont exchange it they have had it about 3 times and not realy fixed anything..guess i will just have to learn to live with it...but what i have learned...

Early adopters pay, even with apple hardware!!

Back