MacBook Pro Sleeping Problems

macnitwork

Registered
My Macbook Pro appears to have narcolepsy. I'll have the screen up woking on something and it will go into sleep mode for a couple of seconds. Nothing else happens, it just goes to sleep.

A second problem is it not going to sleep. I'll close the lid and it won't go to sleep, the screen stays lit heating up the entire laptop.

Has anyone dealt with this? Thanks for your help.

What peripherals do you have attached to your Mac? Anything?
Do you have Bluetooth on?
If there's anything attached, or BT is on, could you remove and disable them, then see if it's still doing it.

If not a peripheral or BT, there might be some other causes for wakes/naps. If it's connected to ethernet, there might be some app or admin thing that wants to wake it up. Or you might have some other app that wants to keep the Mac awake. Like VLC, or some virtualization software (maybe the guest OS is keeping it awake?) If you have e.g. Parallels or Fusion, would the naps or insomnia happen also when the virtual machines are shut down and the virtualization software is not running?

Another thing to look form is when it has the quick nap, look in Console (in /Applications/Utilities) to see what happened. There should be something in the logs that show what called for the nap. You can keep Console running on background, it will not take much processes, so it'll be faster to see what happens/happened.
You can copy and paste the lines for the nap moment, a few seconds before and after here - someone will translate them if needed.

Back