Macbook Pro slow again but.....

bpotter78

Registered
My Macbook pro has become very slow and keeps freezing since only last week. I have done the disk utility repair and it found no problems. I ran DiskWarrior and that found no problems.

I don't use this computer to download music, movies etc (since my last crash start of 2010), I don't visit any dodgy sites, I use my macbook purely for work, listening to music and editing my short films (on iMovie '09). Although recently I have developed two websites using iWeb.

I still have 144GB available (from 250GB) and as mentioned above only office docs, small movie files and music on this computer. So for the love of me I can't figure out why it's all of a sudden freezing and running slow. Even my iMail takes a long time to unfreeze when I open it.

I thought it may be a safari problem because when I don't have that open most programs run ok, but just ok.

I even uninstalled Microsoft office for Mac as there used to be a bug in the messenger folder.

I've tried re-installing the OS X installation disk but my original disk is too scratched and it can't be read, so before I borrow another installation disk I'm checking with you to see if there could be any other cures.

Thanks for your help.

When you used DiskWarrior, did you have it check all files and folders? That seems to rule out a defective disk / format error.

It's very unusual for OS X to freeze, though there are a number of possible causes.

First, disconnect everything from your machine and restart to rule out an external cause.

If that doesn't solve your problem, system crashes/freezes make me suspect the RAM. I don't know what model MacBook Pro you have, so I can't tell you how to remove a RAM module. There are instructions in your computer's manual and online from Apple. Removing a RAM module can rule it out as the cause.

The other possible cause is a faulty logic board, though the only solution to that would probably be a new logic board. This is unlikely, but it does happen.

If all else fails, reinstalling the OS wouldn't hurt. If you have a choice, do an "Archive and Install". That's avail. as an option with every OS except for 10.6 which apparently always does an Archive and Install.

Good luck. Please let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
2 or 4 Gigs of RAM? Strongly recommend 4.

Have you deleted all caches? Download Onyx. A good cleaning utility.

Back