Macbook Pro Unibody Owners Rally to ME!!: Recommend Cooling Plate

Doctor X

Registered
I have gotten sick of my Zalman "Cool Innovations"--the fans have become the noisiest appliance in the home!

I have looked about but reviews tend to be contradictory. Here is an example:

Targus Chill Plate

One guy says the fans do not actually cool it and the unibody can slip! The other says it is perfect!

What I "would like" is:

1. It cools the laptop. Cool laptop is a happy laptop.
2. USB powered and USB hubs--the above one has convenient 4 USB, but if it does not cool the laptop. . . .

3. Light and portable.
4. Will Attract the Hot but Visually Impaired [Stop that.--Ed.]

Suggestions?

--J.D.

I've tried some metal cooling plate that I forgot the brand of...
I didn't like keeping the USB plugged in, even if it'd then give me extra fan power and more USB ports. Most of the time it seemed to me that the metal actually just helped keep the MacBook Pro hotter and not cool it.
So for actually helping to keep the laptop cooler, this IKEA laptop stand for $4 seems to do a better job. No USB ports, but it doesn't get the laptop - or desk - hotter than the other model.

I've tried some metal cooling plate that I forgot the brand of...
I didn't like keeping the USB plugged in, even if it'd then give me extra fan power and more USB ports. Most of the time it seemed to me that the metal actually just helped keep the MacBook Pro hotter and not cool it.

The one I use at home I got before they even thought of using usb powered fans on them. I got it probably 10 years ago or so. Its a hunk of black painted steel with 3 wide rows of small holes and between the three rows are 2 heatpipes. Works pretty well for dissipating heat, even if I'm using it on my lap at home. I have no idea (nor can I even remember) what brand it is. Doesn't matter anyways, I doubt it is even in production anymore. At the shop I just use whatever is laying around for free. Currently it is a Microsoft cooling fan. Problem with that particular one is it's kind of small to fit my 15-inch but fit good for my 13-inch.

Back