Macbook pros and cons

Lennonabbeyroad

Registered
sorry if this has been brought up already but i didn't find anything in my search. Anywho, i was wondering if someone could tell me the pros and cons of the new macbook because i'm thinking of trading in my ibook and getting a macbook. Also if anyone knows websites with reviews that would also be helpful. Again sorry if you have answered this question a number of times, thanks for the help.

Pros: Will run future applications well, Magsafe connector, built-in iSight.

Cons: Will not run current versions of Apple Pro apps (Final Cut, etc.), runs Photoshop pokey....

If you're just an average user who uses Apple's iLife and then uses MS office every once in a while, it's probably great for you.... it will run those apps well, and I would call it very "future-proof"...

On the other hand... if you're a pro who uses Final Cut daily, or you consider Photoshop your right arm... you might want to hold off on jumping to an Intel processor.

Yes, this topic has been discussed extensively. feel free to search the forums. ;)

And an note on the pro apps. The Crossgrade is scheduled to be released in march. and seeing as there is one more tuesday this month...

Someone told me it had been released already. She said she phoned up her local Apple store and they said they had the crossgrades in stock. I haven't heard anyone else say this though, so she may have been mistaken.

Shookster said:
Someone told me it had been released already. She said she phoned up her local Apple store and they said they had the crossgrades in stock. I haven't heard anyone else say this though, so she may have been mistaken.

Btw, "it" = Final Cut Pro. I forgot to mention that.

Got one. Don't use pro apps, only Office under Rosetta. It's all good... except for the price ;) Remember to stock up on RAM, because you'll need it.

It's a VERY sweet ride :D

Shookster said:

No word from my store...

From everything I've read, and reviewed myself, it's best to either: 1. Wait until new software is released. 2. Wait until a new model is releaesd. Or 3. Buy a G5 or PowerBook.

Who knows what's just around the corner, but I doubt it's universal pro support.

I have another con: Apple adopted the ExpressCrad too early. Not enough stuff out there yet (although there is an ExpressCard that lets you add FW 800)

Apparently Apple are on Revision D already, and I've read reports of the MacBook Pro getting so hot that people can't rest them on their laps anymore. I'm not sure if this has been cured in the latest revision, but there were definitely a lot of complaints from the earlier models.

Also I still think the price sucks in comparison to its competition, but oh well.

Veljo said:
Apparently Apple are on Revision D already, and I've read reports of the MacBook Pro getting so hot that people can't rest them on their laps anymore. I'm not sure if this has been cured in the latest revision, but there were definitely a lot of complaints from the earlier models.

Also I still think the price sucks in comparison to its competition, but oh well.

I have the revD MacPro 1.83 ghz and I have no problems with the heat. Metal just gets warm to touch no issues at all. I have worked with it on my lap for 90 minute with no problems.

Lennonabbeyroad said:
sorry if this has been brought up already but i didn't find anything in my search. Anywho, i was wondering if someone could tell me the pros and cons of the new macbook because i'm thinking of trading in my ibook and getting a macbook. Also if anyone knows websites with reviews that would also be helpful. Again sorry if you have answered this question a number of times, thanks for the help.

For one thing is that the MacBook, the next generation iBook, has yet to be released.

The other is, you might want to wait for the MacBook to be released before you trade in your iBook and fork in more money than you should spend for the MacBook Pro.

Back