MacBook: Where's the Word Processor?

i'm using abiword for my my word procesor, its freeware and damn good for the price, just got a processor off the latest edition on macworld too Mellel they're giving it away free its usually 25 pounds or dollars dunno which

So why exactly does every Mac user hate the Office 2004 for Mac? Is it because of pricing or is it just how it acts and is designed? I mean it had some nice graphical prowess to it last time I saw this demo of it! Also had some nice features like the note taking which could be very useful for university students! Anyone can explain to me why it sucks!

Thanks!

So why exactly does every Mac user hate the Office 2004 for Mac? Is it because of pricing or is it just how it acts and is designed? I mean it had some nice graphical prowess to it last time I saw this demo of it! Also had some nice features like the note taking which could be very useful for university students! Anyone can explain to me why it sucks!

Thanks!

A few things;
It's non-universal, so it runs slower on intel macs
It's expensive - very expensive
Other apps can be better at what it does
Some people don't like the interface
It's Microsoft.

A few things;
It's non-universal, so it runs slower on intel macs
It's expensive - very expensive
Other apps can be better at what it does
Some people don't like the interface
It's Microsoft.

Exactly that eric2006, also personally i've never liked MS Office - even when i used pc's at school and uni - only used it as a necessity really

secondly, i'd rather support the developer of mac software, the freeware and shareware being developed for osx are great peices of sortware

Hmm so what about the next version which I hear will be coming out in 2007! It will of course be universal especially with Leopard coming out, obviously it will be even more expensive but what the hey there are alternatives if you do not want to buy it (such as borrowing lol from a friend who is rich: I mean the money)

But what I like about Office 2004 is that the edit tool bar is floating and works for all Office applications. In neooffice it is built in just like the normal Office for Windows! If there is a way to make the tool bar float then I am mistaken! (I hope you understand what I mean with the floating tool bar).

Exactly that eric2006, also personally i've never liked MS Office - even when i used pc's at school and uni - only used it as a necessity really

secondly, i'd rather support the developer of mac software, the freeware and shareware being developed for osx are great peices of sortware

That is true, but I wanted to know how often does NeoOffice update their software? Also do they update the look very often or as the software is updated?

That is true, but I wanted to know how often does NeoOffice update their software? Also do they update the look very often or as the software is updated?
Roughly every month or two, and YES. NeoOffice is a work in progress, and progress has been fairly swift so far. It wasn't until a few months ago that it even looked like a real Mac program. They seem dedicated to making it a great Mac app.

Wow that is cool! I wish they would give it a face lift though such as the one Adobe has given to its CS2, where everything is seperated and floating!!! I like such stuff like that and in my opinion any App that looks like that is either a Mac App or originating from one lol!

hmmm, you seem very superficially aware to the amount of work put in by independant mac software developers to try to give cheaper - even free - software alternatives to th likes of adobe and microsoft, these guys work full time updating apps all the time to get you to use a wholy better alternative application built with and for mac.

Middigit, I understand what you are saying about the software being produced which has brought in many hours to us for free. For word processing apps and presentation making apps I think I might go with NeoOffice, as fro Adobe Photoshop CS2/3 I will stick with it! I have just gotten used to those apps and a lot of people use them already so they got way more support (talking about CS2 here).

It is not that I hate the free software, especially not for alternatives to Office but concerning CS2 I would rather stick with it!

I agree with that. NeoOffice is a far better substitute for MS Office than GIMP is for Photoshop. GIMP isn't even a proper OS X program; it runs in X11. There hasn't been any real competition for Adobe's programs in years, probably because piracy killed the market. (It's not Adobe who suffers from people pirating Photoshop; it's you, me, and countless smaller developers who really suffer.)

Of course, GraphicConverter is great for what it does (better than Photoshop, I'd say), but it's a specialized tool.

Middigit, I understand what you are saying about the software being produced which has brought in many hours to us for free. For word processing apps and presentation making apps I think I might go with NeoOffice, as fro Adobe Photoshop CS2/3 I will stick with it! I have just gotten used to those apps and a lot of people use them already so they got way more support (talking about CS2 here).

It is not that I hate the free software, especially not for alternatives to Office but concerning CS2 I would rather stick with it!

Ok no problem then :)

Thanks!

I don't hate it, but I consider that a descent word processor should be included in an iMac (or a MacBook), like iLife is included. This is what makes the difference with a PC.

I don't hate it, but I consider that a descent word processor should be included in an iMac (or a MacBook), like iLife is included. This is what makes the difference with a PC.

I agree with that, I mean most probably I will not use that many of those programs that come with iLife but as for a word processor being bundled with them it would be awesome! I mean Apple already makes an awesome OS now how about a good decent word processing app?

iWORK doenst come on the new macbooks, i figured this out when i got mine. but thats no biggie, Search the net for a good deal on OFFICE and/or goto the store to pick it up. I got 2004 Office for Mac for next to nothing from an online store. Or just take an older install disc and take the iWORK/APPLEWORK off it.

ever try that?

iWORK doenst come on the new macbooks, i figured this out when i got mine. but thats no biggie, Search the net for a good deal on OFFICE and/or goto the store to pick it up. I got 2004 Office for Mac for next to nothing from an online store. Or just take an older install disc and take the iWORK/APPLEWORK off it.

ever try that?

Wait what do you mean by take iWORK/APPLEWORK of it? As in rip the files of the disc lol? Oh and I see you bought Office for Mac, so how do you think of it! I mean a lot of people are not happy with it and favour NeoOffice and such over it! What are your thoughts?

i don't think anyone actually said NeoOffice is better than MS Office. because it isn't. not really in any way other than price/value for money

MS Office is the most powerful, well rounded and finished piece of productivity software there is.

i think people just resent how untouchable it is.

the thread where people were slagging it off was populated by the minority of people that didn't like it. rest assured, the majority of people use and praise office.

i personally, as a graphic designer find it too patronising, i prefer to use more pro-end layout tools, like illustrator or InDesign, as i don't do much in the way of lengthy word processing, but i do a lot of text around artwork, which word is quite restrictive with, and awlways has been (win + mac)

Oh so then I was write when I thought it was very powerful! I was amazed actually why a few people were claiming that it was poor and slow! I can understand that because of the Intel chip but then surely when it was on a PowerPC it shouldn't have been! The thing is I like how it is made for Mac, way better looking than the one on Windows!

So Lt. Major Burns you are a graphic designer eh! What do you actually design for? Games or software or are you still in school?

Back