Macbook won't power on

celtboy

Registered
Ok so I recently obtained a white macbook. The original owner said he couldn't get it to power on. After resetting the PMU a few times and zapping PRAM, it finally started working. It worked fine for about 2 weeks, I'd say.

Then a few weeks ago it wouldn't power on at all. Nothing. Nada. No matter what I did. Tonight on a whim I hit the power button...and it woke up from sleep to the desktop! I ejected the cd that was in the CD-ROM bay and it powered itself off. Now when I hit the power button, sometimes it comes on, sometimes it doesn't. I never seem to get past the Apple logo before it shuts itself off. Sometimes I have to hold the power button (for like, 30 seconds), sometimes a soft push does the trick. Battery in or out doesn't seem to matter.

I just tried reseating the 2x512mb RAM chips and it isn't powering on at all.

I should mention that at one other point tonight I got to a desktop for about 3 seconds before it powered off, and intermittently the light on the power adapter doesn't come on when plugged in.

The machine isn't under warranty ( :( ), but I'm not sure what to do. I have 2 more sticks of RAM I can try, but I'm wondering if maybe I have a bad PMU on the logic board.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? The local mac repair shop has a $50 bench fee and charges $500 for a logic board (I've seen them online for $350). Thank you very, very much for your time!

-Celt

Back