MacBook won't reboot

leannemw

Registered
I was using my MacBook with an application open and it froze. Tried to restart the computer and now nothin comes up but a icon of a file folder with a question mark in it. Doesn't sound good. Help! LeAnne

i had something like this happen before, the easiest way i think is to do this.

first make sure the data is still on the hard drive (probably is)

grab an external hard drive, a friends mac, and two firewire cables. get your friends mac booted up then connect the external hard drvie to that, then start your computer up in target disk mode (hold down t as you boot, make sure you have a firewire connection to your friends computer.)

now go on your friends computer and you'll see two external hard drives connected to her computer (one is the accually hard drive, the other is your computer)

check and make sure your files are there and if they are, send them over the hard drive.

then locate your reinstall disk(s) that came with your macbook, insert it into your mac and hold the c key upon start up and you will be able to reboot the operating system.

now your computer should be up and running again as if it just came out of the box, connect it to the external hard drive and drag and drop your files back in place.

takes a while, but worth it in my opinion, i would suggest against going back to the mac store because this kind of problem may come up again (after your warranty expires) and you need to know how to do this in case of that.

Back