Macbook wont start past the white screen

cjubs

Registered
mid 2007 model black 2.16 dual Processor 4gb ram Mac OS X
I bought it used from my cousin about 2 months ago, he did a reset so it was basically new and it was in very good condition when I got it. Untill this problem it took only about 15 seconds for a complete start up.

I restarted my macbook today and when i opened up Firefox the browser would crash after about 5 seconds. I rebooted again, same deal, so I decided to switch to safari and it was acting a little slow so I did a system update that was needed for it. After the update was finished the loading bar closed and just left me at the log in screen. (No log in window, just the background thats behind it. I let it sit for about 10 to 15 minutes figuring that it was just loading and I should give it some time. After a while I just shut it down and turned it back on. At this point my macbook would start up and make that start up ring sound and then just stop at the white screen with the apple logo and not progress from there. About every 5 or 10 minutes it would restart itself and get stuck at the white scree again.

I tried holding down command+option+P+R and doing the 4 restarts twice which gave me no solution. I tried unplugging all power sources and holding the power button for 5 seconds twice. That didnt fix it either. I tried the start up with command+S to try the fsck fix and it gave me this message before I could type anything in.
" Error reading driver 'System\Library\Extensions\ATTOExpressPCIPlus.kext\Contents\MacOS\' "
and it would not let me type anything. I havent tried anything else after that. I would appreciate the help. Thank you.

Back