MacBook

Lennonabbeyroad

Registered
I've been reading alot on these forums about the MacBook and hearing that some people are sticking with their powerbooks and waiting because of the lack of compatabilty MacBooks have with third party softwares. Would it be a good idea to wait on getting a MacBook intill some of the first generation problems are dealt with? And also does anyone have a website that reviews the MacBook in great detail or is it still to soon?

I personally never ever buy first generation machines - they often have some technical problems that will later be resolved. (And sometimes not!)

Many people say that it depends extremely on what applications you mainly use on whether you should wait for them to be available optimized for the Intel processor before buying a new Mac. (Even Steve Jobs said at the Keynote that Photoshop, e.g., won't run - that much - better on the Intel-based Macs until the application is available opitimized for Intel processors.

Hope this helps...

patrice
http://www.patriceschneider.com/apple-osx/blog/

Ecirtap's got it. I just purchased my PB like 6 months ago. I am pleased with it, and its performance. I am not in the market for a new computer. Although, it seems that the universal app program is heading forward quit well.
Basically, if your not in the market to get a computer, when wait for when you are, get what is available at that time.

At this point in time, I would have very different buying advice for certain people, depending on who they are and what their current situation is. If you're a creative pro who can't live without Final Cut and After Effects... don't get a MacBook Pro, buy a PowerBook and wait a couple years for a native FCP and AE. Those apps aren't universal... yet. If you're an average user who has a currently dying computer and simply needs the iLife suite of apps (iPhoto, iDVD, iMovie), and you have the money to burn... by all means, get the MacBook Pro. At the very least, it will be very fast and more future-proof than a PowerBook.

it all depends.

thanks for all the help. Any idea if the price will drop on powerbooks in the next couple of months, also i heard after apple sells out of them look on ebay because they aren't making anymore, is this true?

i would personally say that is an impossible one to answer, dear lennonabbeyroad...

chances are you might find some shops desperate to get rid of their powerbook g4 stock - so they'd drop their prices... on the other hand you can see phenomenons like the iPod mini - which sold for a *higher price* on eBay after it was dropped from apple's product line than it cost when it came out!!! (how crazy is that...?!?!)

you might, however, of course be able to find a 2nd hand one at a reasonable price soon-ish... who knows?

patrice
http://www.patriceschneider.com/apple-osx/blog/

Well, if you can't live without AE, then wait, but Apple's pro apps should all be universal in April (since they said March, I will say April is the time to actually look for the universal versions). Adobe is waiting for the next releases to go universal. Although if you are getting a laptop as a business person or a developer, I say go for the MacBook.

Back