MacBookPro - Upgrade to N

interfx

Registered
I have an older MacBookPro 17, and want to know what my options are to upgrade the wireless card to "N" speed? I have a wireless N router in my basement, and the N cards in my dell work great! The existing card 9assume it is G) in my MacBookPro does not see the signal hardly at all...

Any advice?

Apple has what's called the Airport Extreme 802.11n Enabler for older Intel Macs that didn't come with 802.11n capabilities enabled. Apparently, the Airport Extreme card in these older Intel Macs have the capability, but Apple wasn't allowed to enable them for some particular reason (doesn't come to mind at the moment, but it was a legit reason having to do Sarbanes-Oxley I believe). It only costs $2.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/D4141ZM/A

Thanks for the reply, turns out I have an older model MacBookPro (Intel Core Duo) which is not supported.. I guess I will keep looking for a solution...

Found the card, one question though... Does Apple Store genius bar do these type of upgrades? The instructions require to completely disassemble to install...

Any ideas?

Why not buy a USB wireless dongle with wireless-N?
I got a DWA-140 from D-Link and they provide a mac driver for download from their website.
There are other brands also e.g. Buffalo

JB

Found the card, one question though... Does Apple Store genius bar do these type of upgrades? The instructions require to completely disassemble to install...

Any ideas?

They might be able to do it for you. Just find out how much they would charge for the installation.

Back