MacDesktops.com "Under Construction"

DavidMD

Registered
Hi, everyone.

I apologize if I am posting this message to the wrong section.

On a lark, I checked the MacDesktops Web site today and received the error that the site is "under construction."

I checked the site a few weeks ago and it was up and running, and I saw no announcement about a redesign.

As you know, this wonderful resource for Macintosh desktops/wallpapers has been struggling financially to provide a free service -- that requires heavy bandwidth and much storage space -- for several years.

The site has an option to make a donation via PayPal, but I hope that it is not too late to support MacDesktops.

If anyone has any information about this wonderful Web site, please let us know. Should the site come back, I encourage all of us who use it to contribute as much as we can afford.

Thank you very much, in advance!

Cordially,

David

If you don't care too much about the Apple logos, slogans and stuff or prefer to add them yourself, stock exchange is an excellent free source for desktop backgrounds. Giving feedback is good, just don't tell the photographer you're using a picture as a desktop background -- that's usually just annoying to hear ;)

ksv said:
If you don't care too much about the Apple logos, slogans and stuff or prefer to add them yourself, stock exchange is an excellent free source for desktop backgrounds. Giving feedback is good, just don't tell the photographer you're using a picture as a desktop background -- that's usually just annoying to hear ;)
Hello, Kjetil!

Thank you very much for your message and for telling me about the stock exchange Web site, which I assume is free to join.

I am not really into "the Apple logos, slogans and stuff," but I really like the excellent photographs and creative graphics offered by MacDesktops.com.

I have to admit that I downloaded the desktop of Juliette Binoche from MacDesktops.com as soon as I found it. I have found no better computer wallpaper of Juliette Binoche, whom I first saw in Rendez-vous (French) and second in The Unbearable Lightness of Being, based on Milan Kundera's novel. (I've seen most of her films since Unbearable Lightness, but I'm getting off-topic and sounding like a fanatic.) :eek:

I also downloaded a great wallpaper of a Jaguar roaring, just after I purchased Mac OS X "Jaguar," which I bought from my local Apple dealer the day that Jaguar was released.

MacDesktops.com also has (had?) several wonderful images of tigers, well before "Tiger" was even a rumor. Because I have always loved felines (small and big) and have been especially concerned about the plight of endangered tigers, I downloaded a couple of desktops of tiger photographs.

I've never downloaded any of the Macintosh- or Apple-related desktops from MacDesktops. For one thing, I don't find them aesthetically pleasing or ergonomic. Plus, my Mac's desktop is my workspace, not a billboard!

Although I created my current desktop -- and the one I was using before (one of the talented singer/songwriter Matraca Berg) -- I do think that MacDesktops.com is (was?) was a unique and eclectic resource for Mac users, whether they have CRT or LCD monitors.

I must admit that I feel guilty about not making a donation to MacDesktops.com, because I fear the site might be gone.

Thanks again, Kjetil!

Cordially,

David

P.S. -- By the way, I really like your Web site and I am impressed by your image gallery!

www.macdesktops.com is up but not really running too fast.
This is the text on the top of the homepage:

My tepid relationship GoDaddy ended abruptly when they slammed with a $900 charge. On a great new server on a weak connection. Please let me know of any problems.

Macraze said:
www.macdesktops.com is up but not really running too fast.
Hello, Macraze.

Thank you for your message.

Actually, I checked the MacDesktops.com Web site this morning before receiving e-mail notification of your forum posting.

I read about the sudden $900 (US) charge from GoDaddy and the fact that MacDesktops.com is still running "in the red" and on two slower Macs.

I am glad to see that the PayPal donation link is still on the site and I hope that people will make whatever donation that they can afford.

After I finish a Web site update for one of the global educational projects for the nonprofit International Education and Resource Network (iEARN) -- which is a small contract job -- I am hoping that I can find a new full-time job very soon and will be able to afford luxuries such as donating to MacDesktops.com (and upgrading from Photoshop 7 and BBEdit 7 to their respective latest versions); mainly, I face the urgent need to survive. :(

I have downloaded some of my best wallpapers from MacDesktops.com over the last few years, but survival comes first. Still, I am glad to see that the site is up, if only for a while and in a "crippled" state.

Thanks, again!

Cordially,

David

Back