MacGimp 1.2 and Xfree86 4.1.0

Modor

Registered
I have installed Xdarvin(xfree86) 4.1.0 and MacGimp 1.2. I downloaded the MacGimp installer 190MB. It all works well, but i can´t move windows in gimp. I´ve attached an Screen capure. It looks like i´m missing the window border? any suggestions?

Attachments

• macgimp.jpg
    macgimp.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 49
It appears as though your not running a 'window manager'.
such as icewm, afterstep, windowmaker, enlightenment, twm
(you should have twm from the X distribution, the others are
roll your own).

I don't know how much background you have with unix so I will not be brief! I am a newbie myself and I had to go through this not so long ago. I will be happy to save you some of the pain...

The downloadable version of MacGimp is supposed to install Oroborus, a limited but adequate window manager for rootless X. You should make sure that it is started via your .xinitrc file. The .xinitrc file specifies the "startup routine" for X.

To do so:
1. Open a terminal;
2. Make sure you are in your home directory (if not type 'cd home')
3. type pico .xinitrc
4. Scroll to the end
5. Make the last part look like this:

# start some nice programs

#twm &
#xclock -geometry 50x50-1+1 &
#xterm -geometry 80x50+494+51 &
#xterm -geometry 80x20+494-0 &
#exec xterm -geometry 80x66+0+0 -name login

#Start Window Manager
xterm -geometry 95x30+85+70 -name Terminal &
exec /sw/bin/oroborus

6. Save your changes by typing ctrl-x, then y, then return.

Items that are preceded by # are "commented out" and will not be executed.
You may have to edit the last line a bit, depending where your oroborus was installed.

If you want to start other sw automatically when you start X, you can add them too but make sure that the window manager is started last (i.e. last line of the .xinitrc file).

If you want to get something that will look a little more like a desktop, I would suggest Enlightenment and the NIX theme. The easiest way to get enlightenment running is probably through Fink (http://sourceforge.net/projects/fink/). Themes for most window managers (including enlightenment) can be downloaded from http://www.themes.org .

Have fun!

Colddiver

I used fink to get Enlightenment. And now it works prerfect.

Now i know the importense of the ".cscrc" and ".xinitrc" files.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Modor

Back